• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Refrigerated Container with Trailer

camp9

I bought this trailer and picked it up yesterday, wondered if anyone else here has one? It says it manufactured by Engineered air systems inc. By the looks of it the trailer and axles were manufactured at different time as well as the refer container itself. There is also a refer/heat unit along with a generator. I looked for a data plate for the generator but can't seem to find it. I know I've seen pictures and have a idea what it is, but if someone can Id it for sure that would be helpful. Just thought it was a cool unit and I think I can put it to use on the farm when harvesting fruit or anything else that needs cooling to keep it fresh until I'm ready to process it. Bad part is when looking through the paper work this morning all fluids have been removed. Not a problem with oil, but the r-12 it had I'll have to try to get around with a drop in. Hope you all enjoy the pics. IMG_2483.jpgIMG_2467.jpgIMG_2468.jpgIMG_2481.jpgrefer1.jpgIMG_2463.jpg

Attachments

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow - looks to be in remarkable condition. Even with an 003. I would be cautious about the fridg part, and check to see if they really did discharge it. Maybe you can see some evidence of that there, on the unit. Otherwise, there are a lot of refrigeration Guys around, especially around the trucking companies, that might have some ideas, on how to make it serviceable. Good Luck

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
R134a is supposed to be an 'exact' replacement for R12, just don't mix the two. That's what I'm running in my 93 rice burner when the seals in the old compressor went south. New compressor, new flexible lines and I stay cool in the summer. If the compressor had been good, it would have been only the flexible lines (the 134a will leak out of the old lines) and re-charge the system.

camp9

From what I seen today it has the flexible lines that your talking about. I can't see any evidence that its been apart, everything looks to be complete, can't see any thing hanging or open ends. The oil in the generator, and fuel are dry, even only had a drop of fuel come out the bottom of the fuel filter housings. The paperwork had a date of 6-1-12 for the work being completed. I'll have to check the compressor and see if they took the oil out of that too.

Nonotagain

I'm not a refrigeration mechanic, but I play one on my own equipment.

R12 gets much colder than R134a does. Duct temperatures for R12 get to almost 32 degrees F, while 134a only gets into the low 40's. 134a also requires a higher operating pressure than does R12. It's close enough for Union work, though the compressor won't last as long.

R500 or R502 are a closer match for R12, but they are no longer being made like a number of Freon type products.

My suggestion is to find someone that has a recycle recovery system, evacuate the system, nenew the seals and refill using your R12.

I've still got a few 20 lb. R12 cylinders and a couple of the R502 product. With my recovery system, I should be good for at least 15-20 years.

Nonotagain

There should be three ports, one low pressure, one high pressure and a third for another valve that sometimes gets monitored.

The low pressure port is the one used to fill the system. If the system were operational, the low pressure line would be cold during operation.

Rule of thumb for determining the amount of refrigeration gas is to monitor the high pressure gauge and there is a scale with temperature listed directly below the pressure reading. You add 25 degrees to the temperature and look at the corresponding pressure. Otherwise you need to weigh the charge.

without the unit running the gauges normalize so that both of them read the same.

quickfarms

The container is sitting on a mil van chassis. I have one of the chassis. They are neat. You can connect two together and slide the axle back to the rear and use if to carry a 40 foot container. I have a PDF of the chassis manual.

camp9

I was wondering about that, but had no idea about putting two together. I seen the pins on the axle frame for sliding it on the trailer frame so figured there must be other applications for it. Any chance you can PM me your PDF of the manual?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If converting to R134. the system needs to be flushed and you need to use R134 compatible oil. Typically o rings also need to be changed from black to R134 which are usually green or blue.

I do have virgin R12 in one lb cans from my parts selling days. I no longer have a use or vehicle for it so pm if interested. I think I have a 18 or so.

o1951

If converting to R134. the system needs to be flushed and you need to use R134 compatible oil. Typically o rings also need to be changed from black to R134 which are usually green or blue..
That is correct. Real PITA to get all the R12 oil out of evaporator and condenser. At least most compressors have a drain plug on bottom. Compressors on systems converted from R12 to R134 run HOTTER, are less efficient, warmer air from AC. I have repaired and then converted several in Civy cars/trucks due to the ban on R12.

camp9

Ya, I think I'll be getting a hold of you guys that have the R12, it'll just be easier and better for a old system like this. Once I get the genset going then I'll see about getting the refer going. thanks for all the input. :-D

ryan77

You can buy r12 on ebay! It will cost you a little but better then 134a! Nothing cools better then the good green house killer r12!! I have a universal card so i can buy any of it!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks