• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Registering a Deuce in Ohio issues.

78buford

Hello. My name is Roy and bought a 1987 AM General 2.5 ton tanker truck.

I bought it from ebay, but the previous owner referred me to this site, and I assume he is a member, but I do not know his username.

Here is my situation:

1. I bought it with a clean title from North Carolina. I live in Ohio.

2. In Ohio (if you buy any vehicle) from another state, you have to have it inspected by the BMV to make sure the VIN on the vehicle matches. After that, you go to the title office and get the title into your (my) name, then you go back to the BMV to get licence plates and your registration.

3. I had the vehicle inspected yesterday. No issues with that. Then I went to the title office and obtained an Ohio title. No issues with that.

4. Here is the problem: Title office worker told me that I could not register it. She said "Well you can cross the road with it, but you cannot drive it legally on the road."

5. I called the Ohio State Patrol today, and gave a brief explanation. They did not have a clue, and referred me to call "The Salvage Inspection Station." I believe that is ran by the Ohio State Patrol as well. That guy said that it was a military vehicle and could not be registered.

6. It was used by the Forestry Service (water truck) before I bought it. If it could be used for that, I do not understand why I can't register it.

I have an auto dealer license, had about 180 cars...yeah 180...and have never had any issues like this. The Deuce has a 15 digit VIN instead of the normal 17 digit VIN. It starts with "87 and ends in 0006." I forget the middle numbers off hand, but can get them if it helps.

My father was a Vietnam Vet in the Marines and the man that delivered it to me is a current Green Beret. The Deuce runs, shifts, drives great (for what it is)...no complaints there--very honest seller.

Any advice about registering it in Ohio would be abe appreciated.

Thanks,
Roy

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are lots of registered trucks in Ohio. I'm sure someone will chime in soon.

78buford

Thanks guys. I definitely understand the people not liking the "big green truck" part.

Most people probably do not like my four AR-15's, Ak-47, Smith .500, yada, yada either.

I may start caring about their feelings...but I kinda doubt it. ;)

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The single biggest variable in registering MV''s has in my experience been who you get behind the DMV counter. This plays a bigger role than written policy or black letter law.

Go to a different office. You'll likely be successful. OH has no prohibition on MV's to my knowledge.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Once this sh1t starts in one state its spreads to all of them. I'd get with one of the Johns at Ohio motor pool, 5he mvpa chapter in Ohio

Smike740

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have registered an M1078 and a M 923 in ohio both without any question. Both were registered as commercial. I sold the M923 last month and the new owner registered near Cincinnati soon after without issue. Try another BMV office.

URSATDX

Being from NJ I can only hope that my bright Red State doesn't catch wind of this.
We're getting pounded on the 2nd Amendment and I'm pretty sure
most here think my big green truck is scary.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I may start caring about their feelings...but I kinda doubt it. ;)
Just because the truck was used in another state doesn't mean it's good to go where you live. You might try to see what it would take to not be classed a military truck, if that's the sticking point. You might also try and familiarize yourself with the rule/law that is the problem. The deuce is similar in size to many other larger trucks, maybe some modifications could take it out of "military" and make it "civilian".

Getting pissed off at the bureaucracy (not saying you are) won't help. The important thing here is to look for loopholes (favourable interpretations), find sympathetic people behind desks, and be patient.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with 98G. Try another license bureau. I registered mine with no problem. I even got historical and model year plates.
I've found the DoL's in private hands (usually at strip malls) tend to pay less attention to their jobs...if they have these were you live.

ptg530C

If I could chime in, ALL vehicles manufactured in the United States and sold to the U.S. Government for use on roads, meet all MVSS standards applicable to that vehicle in the year that it was manufactured. That means that the 15 digit VIN also meets the criteria contrary to what you may hear from the idiots behind the counter.
Unfortunately, the easiest way to deal with this is to go to a different branch. Another avenue might be to pick up a form at the Secretary of State that is used to verify the VIN by the local police. Have the police verify the VIN and then tell your Secretary of State that you want a new Ohio State title and plates while you are waiting for the new police verified title.... They wont argue with you.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got a truck from a seller in another state that doesn't even use titles on trucks that old.Got a temp tag and drove it to the BMV, helped the girl climb up into the truck to look at the plate, then showed her on the frame that it matched and she signed off on it right there. I went back inside, got a title and then went next door to get the historical plates good for 50 years. Got into the truck and drove home.They ask me every once in a while why I drive all the way out there when I could easily get it all done close to my house. 1. The people are nicer at the one I go to. 2. I don't like the people close to my house.I have had three trucks and they went through just fine. Although they were not sure about a vehicle from another state with only a bill of sale but a quick lookup told them it was okay.Eaton OH is the only BMV I have used for about 15 years.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I got a truck from a seller in another state that doesn't even use titles on trucks that old.Got a temp tag and drove it to the BMV, helped the girl climb up into the truck to look at the plate, then showed her on the frame that it matched and she signed off on it right there. I went back inside, got a title and then went next door to get the historical plates good for 50 years. Got into the truck and drove home.They ask me every once in a while why I drive all the way out there when I could easily get it all done close to my house. 1. The people are nicer at the one I go to. 2. I don't like the people close to my house.I have had three trucks and they went through just fine. Although they were not sure about a vehicle from another state with only a bill of sale but a quick lookup told them it was okay.Eaton OH is the only BMV I have used for about 15 years.
That was b4 all the BS started in other states. I wonder how long till we get letters to turn in our plates

docpadds

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got mine from Michigan into Ohio, and the Michigan title was wrong! The ladies at my local title office (small town) went out, took pictures and did a rubbing of the plate in the truck, and issued me a new Ohio title with the right info on it.

Went to office next door and got plates..... Circleville Ohio office, best service around.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The ladies at my local title office (small town) went out, took pictures and did a rubbing of the plate in the truck, and issued me a new Ohio title with the right info on it.
They take vehicles really seriously in Ohio, or is this common in other states? In Washington, no one looked at my truck. I just bring the paperwork to a desk, pay the money and leave. WA collector plates never expire and never need to be paid for again.

maa45069

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Things are definitely Changing for MV in Ohio but you should be fine as a historical vehicle for registration. That limits the use of the truck to parades and club meets but that's your way. don't over complicate or bring too much attention to yourself. Just take your documentation to another office. Best wishes. hope to see you at the Haspin Rally

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks