• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Relative compression test

martinv

Today I decided to try a 'relative compression test' on the M35A2. This method uses a current probe on the battery line and measures current peaks caused by the compression of each cylinder. There should be 1 peak for each cylinder, then the pattern will repeat as long as you are cranking the engine.

Initially there is a very large (and expected) current spike. Shortly after the waveform stabilizes and this is the area to analyze.
Note: Fuel turned off so the engine wouldn't start during the test.

Here is my full waveform including just over 2 seconds of cranking:
Full Span_Notes.png

And here is a zoomed in view showing each cylinder number 1-6:
Consistent pattern_notes.png
Which cylinder is actually #1 cannot be determined without some other method of triggering, but the goal is to look for a pattern. If every 4th and 5th peak was very low, this would indicate 2 sequential (in the firing order) cylinders have low compression.

I don't have much experience analyzing this method but it appears my engine is fairly consistent. This means all are good, bad or OK. A real compression test on 1 cylinder would tell which is the case. This seems like another good thing have as a baseline, so when you have a problem you can compare to a known previous state. I already had the test equipment available as I do electronics as a job and hobby. However this test could be done with the a very 'low end' scope and current probe since the frequency of the waveform is so low.

For comparison I may look at the voltage waveform at the starter to see if that gives a usable result. If it does, the current probe would not be needed, but I've heard the voltage method is not as clean of a waveform..

Finally here is the current clamp on the positive battery line:
current clamp_800px.jpg

Equipment:
Oscilloscope: RIGOL DS1054Z. (overkill for this job but I already had it)
Current Probe: Hantek CC-650 (Note: There may be a cheaper option. The minimum specs would be something like AC/DC capable, 500A and 1 kHz frequency response)

UPDATE (8/3/19):
I added a voltage probe connected to the "+" battery line and re-ran the test. Basically the voltage waveform is not as useful due to 'noise' and lower peak to peak amplitude but you can still see the pattern. Also note the the voltage level is inverse from current. Each minimum occurs during maximum compression.
Current CH1_Voltage_CH2.png

Using an acquire mode that reduces bandwidth and/or averages samples cleaned up the waveform. My scope calls this "High Res" mode: The waveform below is using the "normal" mode. Notice the high frequency noise:
Current CH1_Voltage_CH2_Normal Mode.png

Last edited:

tommys2patrick

Thanks for posting and the great details. I presume you are in fuel off mode while doing this test so the engine won't actually fire. If you did an actual compression test on at least two cylinders can you create a relative scale of compression values?

CMPPhil

Hi Martin

Very interesting post, interested in the current probe you used, in the test. Can you give us a little more information on it?

Wonder why this approach would not work on any multiple cylinder engine. With a little more information I'd like to try it on the gas engines on my 3 trucks.

As you say it would make a good bench mark test, against future diagnostic efforts.

Cheers Phil

martinv

Yes, fuel off so it doesn't start. I got the idea from seeing it done on gas engines.
Look up youtube video: "Method for Relative Compression Testing to get PSI DATA!!".
scannerdanner also has some good videos on this procedure.
I updated the original post to include equipment makes/models.

Last edited:

CMPPhil

Hi

Thanks for adding the details, with that extra info the game can begin. I've got a 4 channel Tektronix Scope, so the current clamp was the key. Think this will lead to some interesting playing with engine on test stand. First thought is to put current on one channel and voltage on another see how they compare. Oh yes this as the looks of a good winter project.

Cheers Phil

Last edited:

martinv

While I had all the equipment ready to go I decided to do this as well. First post updated to add the voltage and current results.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks