• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Relocating front axle 5" forward

crazywelder72

I know this sounds like a crazy idea and you may wonder why. Let me explain first then I am open to thoughts and Ideas.

When whoever did the lift in my truck to accommodate the 53's seemed to overlook something. The rear of the front tires have almost no clearance to the rear of the front fenders, not to mention the J pipe.

I figure it would be relatively easy since it has full hydraulic steering. I would think I just need to relocate the leaf shackles futher forward on the frame rail and have the drive shaft lengthened? and add some leingth to the front brake lines. I dont have to worry anbout the shocks as they havent been installed yet. So i think thats it?

I have already cut of the bottom of the front fenders and did a "mud flap" design because the tries would grab them going over a curb and folding them.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think it would be too difficult other than all of the hot rivets. Gotta ask though, could the tires be too big?

crazywelder72

The tires are defiantly to big, but thats the idea. They moved the 3rd axle 10" further back to make room for the 53's and lengthened that drive shaft and torsion rods.

It just seems like they overlooked doing similar to the front.

I dont think those Hot rivets will give Mr. Plasma cutter a hassel. If they do Ms. Ody-Acetlyne is more than happy to get involved.

I guess the next question would be, what to replace the rivets with in the new location? Grade 8?

Last edited:

dilligaf13

Best way to remove the rivets is cut the heads off and torch a hole into the body of the rivet. Then use a BFH and punch them out. Grade 8 bolts will do the trick.

m816

I'm pretty sure that moving the front axel five inches forward is gonna cause you clearance issues with the diff and the oil pan. There is areason for the hump in the oil pan. We grind the rivets off flush with the steel and punch them out with a good air chisel and point. Pop clean out and replace with grade eights.:beer:

crazywelder72

5" was just a estimate. I am not sure how far forward i can go. 3" would even be a big help.

That and i can somehow reroute the j pipe to gain a few more.

trukhead

How about relocating battery box back and step a few inches and then lengthening fender rearward until it interferes with door and then don't make fender go vertical at rearward portion but build in enough angle to clear tire when turned.:idea:

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What he said! I like the tummy- tuck look! It's much more business like off-roading over obstacles and loose tree branches.

Reroute your exhaust inside the frame, down and back and you got one clean look'in machine.

Rick

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You'll need to change the length of the draglink. It may end up kinda short(-5"). That may cause more "bumpsteer".

Heath_h49008

I think he said he had full hydraulic steering, so the bumpsteer issue wouldn't apply.

The oil pan issue might also have a solution. On the cars/trucks we used to clearance the pan by cutting the sump out and making side chambers for the volume. No reduction in capacity, but increased room. (Or more often just increased volume with the same pan depth.) It would require modifying the pick-up as well, but it would seem doable.

Even better, this would change the approach angle for front obstacles in a very positive way.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oops, missed that.:oops:

crazywelder72

wow... everybody has some awesome ideas.

Walkerhunter... that does look awesome. I would love to see more pics especially what you did with the exhaust. Also did you put your fuel tank in the bed? I think i saw a tiny bit of something hiding there. The bad part is the truck is so high that i can barley grab the inside door handle and use it as i pull myself up onto the step. even if i moved them i would have to make something for a step.

Heath, I like the way you think. I don't have the years working on cars and trucks but i do have over 25 years doing precision welding and fabrication. (i just need to learn all the lingo... about sumps and pickups. feel free to knock out some sketches on something so i can get a better pic. it doesn't have to be pretty, just enough so i can envision it.)

JaysonS, could it actually be that simple?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks