• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Remote Brake Fluid Reservoir

dabtl

I am in the process of installing a remote brake fluid reservoir in the deuces.

I think it needs to be done by everyone with a deuce. It is low cost the way I have chosen to do it and extremely simple.

I have gone to Pegasus Racing for their Tilton 74 series medium reservoir, mount and filter. Simple to assemble for sure.

Drill two holes in the firewall, put in two 1/4 inch bolts and tighten.

Take the cap off the master cylinder, get a 90 degree elbow and 3/8 barbed hose end, assemble to the cap and then attach the BFS hose to the end of the remote reservoir and the master cylinder cap with small worm clamps.

Very quickly installed.

I will post some pics today and more on Monday or when the brake hose arrives.

As a guess it must take at least four feet of brake hose depending on where you mount the remote reservoir.

wehring

Been kicking this around too...

I have been thinking about this too... just can not get my head wrapped around this.

Stock assy:

There is an air line that goes in the top of the MS cap. There is a fill plug on the side of the MS that is ~1/4" from the top of the MS.

Modified Assy:

Replace the 90* elbow on the top of the cap with a T-fitting and run the remote res to the cab.

QUESTION... What keeps the fluid in the res in the cab from back flowing into the air line since it is located above the line?

Justin

wehring

Light Bulb...

OK, I am suffering from an accute case of D*%B A$$. The air line going into the top of the cap is a VENT line and not an AIR line...

Clear now...

Justin

dabtl

That article is what got me thinking. That is the larger reservoir, I chose the medium.

What the article does not show is the reservoir mount. That is what makes the install so easy. If you look closely at the picture of the installed reservoir you can see this mount even though the instructions talk about fabricating a mount.

The cost of the mount, the reservoir, the filter and the clamp is about $30 total.

You need another four or five feet of hose, the 90 degree fitting and the 5/16 rubber hose fitting to complete the job.

And, I should have added, I am using worm clamps on the rubber hydraulic brake fluid hose so that when bleeding the brakes I can pressure it up with my brake bleeder.

Do not use fuel line hose on this application. It will rot out quickly.

Attachments

Last edited:

papercu

Article gives the web site and part numbers for all parts including the bracket.
Website gives a choice between a large and medium reservoir, shows pictures of both and the bracket and gives the dimensions of the bracket and reservoir.
Price back then was 60.00, how much was your? Wayne

Last edited:

dabtl

Here are some pics of the reservoir and the installed reservoir.

The first pics are of the medium reservoir unit I chose, top and bottom as assembled. I do not have the clamp installed between the reservoir and the mount at this time.

Next is the master cylinder cap with the 90 degree bend and the rubber hose connector.

The final is the reservoir mounted on the firewall.

All that is left is to install the hose.

Attachments

Bill W

I got my remote off e-bay its a reservoir for a Beechcraft, the bracket is part of a bed frame that I cut and welded, holds about 8oz. I'm going to mount it in the same place as dabtl

Attachments

connectingbar

remote res

I installed a remote res the Roscoe eqipment co. advises as above. I have it in the cab to the right of the drivers seat ( for viewing while driving) It is also easy to bleed the sysetm with one of these because you can fill the remote res easier than the hell hole

dabtl

With just a single master cylinder, maybe mounting it on the dash is good. :-D Wayne
I started to mount it in the cab, but I realized it was even simpler to mount it where I put it under the hood. Out of the way, works and I do not need a 7/8 inch drill and grommets to put it in the cab.

My only concern will be the rubbing of the hose on metal. I probably will take a small piece of 1/2 inch rubber hose and slide over the BFS hose to prevent that from occurring.

USMC6062

I'd like to know how the hose holds up to silicone fluid. I installed a remote reservoir on an old Chrysler I am restoring and used silicone fluid in the system. I bought the correct hose that is supposed to be made for standard brake fluid. It swelled up like a baloon from the silicone fluid. I replaced it with a piece of fuel hose, and it's been fine ever since.

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remote Reservoir

I was going to build a pressure bleeder, but now I'm wondering where would you connect your bleeder hose to. The remote or the master cylinder cap.
Thanks Ron

dabtl

http://store.motiveproducts.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=motive&StoreType=BtoC&Count1=391445338&Count2=308585762

They have an adapter for the Tilton remote reservoir that I chose to use. It is on order. That is why I chose to use the small worm clamps to hold in the pressure.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks