• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Removing deuce wheel, I'm at a loss

Tlauden

Well as it says, I give up!!!! I've been trying to get my driver side front wheel off now for almost two hours!!!! The impact I have just laughs at me when I try and I've managed to bend my breaker bar.... I'm assuming these aren't reverse thread cause with a quick search I found nothing on this. The lugs have been soaking in penetrating oil for almost 24 hours!!! This simple task is making me feel very very stupid.....

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Left hand thread.

Look close at the end of the stud, it may have an L or R(thread direction).

Also visible if you look at the threads.

Also in the -20TM

I'll post the TM page here. I often wonder why people refuse to download and use the tech manuals. Instead they think members need to find the page and post it on the forum. It's a frigging book, what are you people afraid of?

right click the image and select "open in new window" to get a larger picture of the page.

Attachments

Last edited:

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the ends of the studs are marked with an "L", then you may be fighting the rare and surprising "hub swap" from the other side of the truck.

Otherwise, I recommend a 3/4" breaker bar and socket with a pipe cheater, giving you room to stand on the breaker and crack those babies loose.

Another idea would be to visit a truck tire shop and have them rattle the nuts loose for you.

Hope something here helps!

Rick

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:deadhorse: RTFM first, post second, work third...

Emmett

Don't feel bad. A friend of mine a few years back complained that his M-38's LH front lug nust were so corroded that he broke all of them off in an attempt to remove the tire. I dropped by and showed him the little L on the broken studs. I also showed him the manual.
He ended up buying a case of beer and we sat back and laughed the whole evining about this.

This isn't the first thing he ruined by not reading the TM.

FishWagon

We all have brain farts every now and then...

My buddy (who lived next door) and I were building my workshop over the summer a few years ago. I had been frantically trying to get building material inside the building since a big rain storm was coming....he had seen me and came down and asked "What are you doing???"

I told him "big storm coming, don't want to get the materials wet...

He started laughing his butt off.....I had been trying to get the siding inside the building...he asked if I was going to take apart the siding in the future whenever it rained out after the building was finished.....

We still laugh over that one...every rain he says "Uh Oh, better start pulling the siding off and getting it inside!!!"

So brain fart, yeah, you did. But hey, it's a good laugh as long as you didn't break anything....

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My passenger side rear most duals, where I seem to get the most flats, usually gives me a problem. After a few seconds my son reminds me it has left hand threads thanks to the NG motor pool.

skinnedknuckles

Don't feel bad, A certain individual over here in Janesville, Wisconsin, we won't say any names but he will know its him when he sees this :p, was using a 1" impact to take the nuts off his 5 ton and :hammer::hammer::hammer:bang ,bang, bang, oops, he stripped a stud. When he told me about it I just laughed, I know that was not nice but he has been around trucks and Budd wheels for many years.rofl. He must've had one of those moments
Paul in Janesville, Wis.

R= right way
L= lots a' torque

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am sorry but my phone does not load the manuals... I apologize....

Get a computer.

This site was designed for use with a computer(as was the "INTERNET").

Your shortfalls of using a phone, is not our problem.

My cell phone does not have a calculator, does that make it the cashiers problem, when I get rung up and don't have enough cash in my wallet?

Can you use your phone on ebay? you can probably buy the books there.

The process of evolution has allowed man to use what he has, to advance himself. Time to use what you have...

Last edited:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was taking a wheel off of a 50s vintage vehicle once. I found that there was a mix of left and right hand studs on the same wheel. Fortunately, when I couldn't get some to come loose my Dad noticed the mix of L and R markings. He never assumed anything. I changed out the incorrect studs.

197thhhc

Get a computer.

This site was designed for use with a computer(as was the "INTERNET").

Your shortfalls of using a phone, is not our problem.

My cell phone does not have a calculator, does that make it the cashiers problem, when I get rung up and don't have enough cash in my wallet?

Can you use your phone on ebay? you can probably buy the books there.

The process of evolution has allowed man to use what he has, to advance himself. Time to use what you have...
I have been away for a month or so because of the lack of kindness and rudeness that was starting to take over this site. I guess nothing has changed. I hate to see it from members but am really disheartened when I see it from a moderator.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been away for a month or so because of the lack of kindness and rudeness that was starting to take over this site. I guess nothing has changed. I hate to see it from members but am really disheartened when I see it from a moderator.

Ever heard of "tough love"?

F18hornetM

The Tm's are great. I have been reading service manuals for years, but Tm's are harder to find what you want, as I'm not sure what level of maintenance covers what. So I have to look through all the levels to find the information. Its all there and very well explained, but compared to regular shop manuals, more difficult. I can see why people would get frustrated with them.
Also, sometimes guys are in a hurry, standing next to the truck, not near a PC.. I think the only dumb question is one you already know the answer to, if you dont know the answer, then its not a dumb question. :beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks