• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Repainting HMMWV with Home Depot BEHR Paint

Predator42

Just wanted to make sure everyone knew about this thread and a little update from me as of today. Recently I was quoted $4300.00 to have my truck repainted. I went to home Depot a while back and asked them to match paint I needed for Federal Standard 383 Green 383 Brown and Black. They tried and failed several times... until I took them in the following information,

look for "Competitors" in the system, then look for "Federal Standard" Then look for 34094-->383 Green This is the exact green color on your HMMWV. Then I had them do a quart of 30051-->383 Brown, this is the exact match for the brown on your hmmwv. (when it was new, not the chalky ugly rose color it is now :)) Then I had them mix 37030-->Black

I asked them for 3 quarts, one for each color. Make sure and Use BEHR Premium Ultra 4300 flat base, then I gave them the codes 34094, 30051, and 37030

Perfect match.

I also made sure and bought Floetrol which eliminates brush marks as it levels while it is drying. I simply added this to the small empty area at the top of the paint can, replaced the lid and shook it. as I used paint I would add another few tablespoons of floetrol and re-shake it. a quart goes a long way and I spent $45.00 on materials including disposable foam brushes. I will post some of the truck once I am finished. I am blocking it all in just tracing the pattern and block filling it all in. Then I will go back with an airbrush or dry brush and blend the edges as the colors touch.

IMG_4751.jpgIMG_4752.jpgIMG_4753.jpgIMG_4754.jpg

Incidentally here are more codes if you are interested:

Green 383-->34094
Brown 383--> 30051
Tan 686--> 33446
Black-->37030
Dark Green--> 34082
Field Drab-->33105
Sand-->33303
Sandstone-->33510
Aircraft Green-->34031
Aircraft Gray-->36300
Aircraft Black-->37031

related thread:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?116608-Paint-Information-(Codes-and-Sources)

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just spray is with a HVLP gun from harbor freight...they are like 25.00
thin it with water....it's simple and the quality of your paint looks factory.

Predator42

Here is what it looks like today. this is first pass, not entirely done or Dry yet. I need to get in there with a smaller brush in places. A second coat or third coat might be in order depending on coverage. I still need to blend the edges. Just a reminder, wash your truck thoroughly first, then use a degreaser. Now I have PLENTY of paint for touch ups, the flat paint is very forgiving. Enjoy.
IMG_4763.jpgIMG_4764.jpg

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have been discussing using Behr paint for a few years now. Many have good luck with it. Some people do not like it. YMMV

orgnal

Anybody know what I the paint codes for desert tan are if I were to go the home depot route. Thanks

It is Federal Standard Desert Tan 686A....FS33446

Last edited by a moderator:

I can second this. Alot of people I know paint cars and trucks with these and throw them away when done instead of cleaning. On par with some of the more expensive guns.

kfrosty

And you will need more then a quart to do a HMMWV.....I paint trucks all the time. It's over 2 gallons to do a HMMWV inside and out.
With the spray gun, how do go about getting the patterns with crisp lines? paint everything green and then go back and tape the patterns for brown and black? Predator, looks good.

kfrosty

What about if you don't have a booth and all you have is your house garage and you don't want overspray on everything in it? If you use the gun, what's the water thinning ratio?

I'd like to try the gun but thinking about it don't want it all over everything else in the garage.

DanM7890

I sprayed in my backyard when the wind was calm. I will say there is over spray but it wasn't horrible because it's water clean up!

kfrosty

Ok, we painted 2 doors with the behr. They look pretty good but then we had a paint rep kind of burst our bubble and tell us that the paint will scratch really easy. We actually off road our vehicles where you have limbs and such sliding down the side. Can anyone with the behr paint on their MV's testify to if the paint scratches easily or not.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks