• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Repairing Trailer canvas tears

3dAngus

It seems more and more trailers are coming in with torn sheets off the back and front. Gimpy once said, at a Ga. Rally years ago, UV is the culprit, and it eats the threads. I'm more than convinced at this time, seeing over a dozen torn off front or back sheets on these trailer canvas covers.

I tried different things. I hate search, and am sure there are better ways to do it you can search on. I don't have a canvas sewing machine, but using search one day, found HH-66 to be the super vinyl glue of choice. Expensive, but worth it, according to the writer.

My personal experience with HH-66 may not be as glamorous. I tried using it according to instructions, but found that it alone is just not enough. I took it a little further this time.

I used a hair clipper to cut the threads. Previous experience tells me the threads torn off and remaining push out the canvas from one piece to the next, and make it more difficult for the adhedsive to work. After trimming the threads clean, I found some roofing nails with caps, and removed the caps. I drilled out these 1" caps for fit on my plastic rivets, and used one cap on the inside, one on the outside. Again, previous experience tells me the rivet holding the canvas together at the ends of the stitching is not enough. You need a cap on there for additonal support to the end support.

After drilling out the canvas with a wood block behind, I inserted the plastic rivets with cap on both sides. This is where the tears usually first start, and almost always start when pulling the canvas around the yard. Never pull it by the end tabs or end sheets. Grab it in the middle.

Once reinforced on the ends, I went inside the clean shaven seams and applied HH-66 to both sides. I set a battery on top to hold the seal, then went on to the next length. It dries fast when pressure is applied.
Adhedsive alone will not do it. Nothing will replace a good string and a double stitch, but that is something that is simply not available to us all. This is a cheap mans fix, and it seems to work better then previous attempts. You can paint over the roofing felt nail tabs after installation for a match. Good luck with your repairs, and please don't throw that torn canvas away. Someone can use it if you cannot.

Attachments

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice write up 3D :) I was wondering if anybody has tried pliobond adhesive? I am hearing good things but never tried it yet.

3D how are the covers looking after your 303 aerospace protectant testing?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
NIce work Dell!

Swiss, I have used Pliobond and it works great, just makes sure you shake the sh1t out of it before use, then shake it some more. The smell is horrendous, but it works good!

3dAngus

Thanks for the tip. My findings are, the HH-66, as expensive as it is, is only a 1/2 step above regular heavy duty pvc adhedsive after the first use, so it isn't practical to buy really big cans for the cost savings of doing so. I will try Pliobond next and report on a comparison.
The 303 aerospace protectorant, what some would call the high end Armour All, is slick as owl sheesh. Really!
It is amazing stuff, and well more then 1/2 step above armour all. The top canvas where I applied it to my other trailer still looks like new, even with the leaves rotting and the rain collecting. Just rinse right off, and it cleans up spectacularly.

My next step on this one tomorrow, for sure, will be to brush off with purple power, which I swear by now, and after sun drying, covering with a spray and wipe of the 303 protectorant. At this point, it would be insane to go through the effort of removing stitching, riveting, glueing, cleanings, and not covering with a protectorant, besides which, all the above effort makes it look like it is really clean and nice looking, but the 303 makes it look better then new. Good tips all. So now I'll see if I can find some Pliobond on my favorite auction site and order it for bench stock. Always good to have it before you need it, and I am heading to Ft. Stewart to pick up another war torn trailer and cover tomorrow or the next, depending on when I can get it scheduled. I think Doug might be out sick to day so I could not schedule to pick it up tomorrow morning. It might be the pliobond candidate.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pliobond is used by camera repair folks (we use small bottles- 1 fluid ounce) to put the leatherette back on the older mechanical cameras. Micro Tools should still be selling it, if you cannot find elsewhere.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks