• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replaced Steering Knuckle Boots

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I replaced the steering knuckle boots on the Deuce today and had a couple of observations.

First, when I got the truck I noticed the zippers always leaked a bit. Not a problem, it wasn't much so I didn't worry about it. Recently the passenger side zipper blew out so I figured now's the time to change them.

When I went to take off the driver side boot I noticed there was no RTV on the zipper! I unzipped it to remove it. Maybe that's why it leaked. Probably should have saved it since it was OK otherwise.

Second, I've read you need another pair of hands to hold the boot so you can get the clamp on. They aren't kidding. The inside clamp is easy because the boot stays on. It's the outside clamp that is the problem. After messing with it for a while I got some small clamps to use to hold the boot to the knuckle. They don't have to be tight. Just snug enough to hold the boot in the groove. Once you start tightening the clamp, you remove them and check periodically to make sure the clamp and boot are in the groove on the knuckle as you tighten the clamp.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ray, I don't see the 4 nuts on the steering arm/kingpin cap.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ray, I don't see the 4 nuts on the steering arm/kingpin cap.
You remove two nuts and two lower bolts to remove the guard per the TM. You reinstall them and the guard after changing the boot. The two nuts in the back are still there. If you look hard, you can see one at the top of the drop light.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, Just making sure! :)

And I kinda forgot about the guard!:oops:

m816

deuce boots

We did that job a couple weeks ago. The clamps are a good idea when you don't have soldier number two. Doesn't take long with two people. How long did it take by yourself?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awe man, At the GA12 rally, GR and I did a pair on Carnacs truck. Does that make me GR's wife?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto:.... if you meant to say: ....put the clamp in the boot's groove...;-)

Yes, that's the "one-soldier" method: gradually work the boot lip into the (lubed) knuckle groove, with the clamp already on and "semi-tight".

G.

rednckii

I still need to do this to mine just have to come up with the time to do it. Gettin taxes back this week so will be on road shortly. Going to do a complete teardown on front so i can look at bearings and brakes even though i have the zipper boot replacements.

Munk

I have always done the boots with an extra guy (spare set of eyes on the other half of the boot). It only gets easier and easier. Next set will be slicone.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M816, I had about 4 hours actually working on it. At least half of that was cleaning everything and scraping the grooves. Now that I know what to do I could probably do it in about 1 hour a side.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been pretty lucky. Always a one man show here. My experience is that if the boot and groove are absolutely clean, they are more apt tp stay in place. I can do a solid boot in 75 minutes in my driveway.

Motorcar

It's a bunch easier if you have it on a jack stand and pull the wheel off. Then you just slide up to it sitting on a creeper and give the drum/hub a hug as you work the boot on. I opted for the no-wife help and found my knees could hold the bottom sides of the boot while I worked the top in and tightened the clamp. Where there is a will there is a way!

Where does Gimpy get those avatars?rofl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks