• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Restoring rusty chains

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The original coating is disappearing from these chains and I'm wondering what the board thinks about re-coating/painting chains.
Is there a dip or a "converter" that can be used?

Attachments

BillIdaho

I learned a trick a few years ago on how to clean and shine up a rusty chain.......Get your 4 wheeler or dirt bike out, get a rope or another chain hooked up the rear of the rig, attach the rusty one to that, and drive around for awhile on a gravel or better yet--sandy road. (Dirt roads will work, but it takes a lot longer. If you don't have such vehicles, go to the local dirt bike area, and give a kid 5 bucks to drag it around.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I have kept the chain on my front mounted winch painted with the same paint as the truck. I don't know if it is "correct", but the areas that rub keep themselves clean and the paint protects the rest.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Bjorn, electrolysis might be an option. I would think that a light sanding and a good rust converter should do the job. Chains are a pain to keep in good condition.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dragging chains on my sandy street are usual business here. As a matter of fact, it works pretty good on rusty oxygen bottles too!

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
If you had a truck like mine you could store them on a pallet underneath and the slow, but steady stream of petrochemicals landing on them would prevent any rust issues.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you had a truck like mine you could store them on a pallet underneath and the slow, but steady stream of petrochemicals landing on them would prevent any rust issues.
That resembles my truck. If I have a weed problem on my gravel driveway, I park the M108 there.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
one quick way is to dip them in muratic acid . in a few minets they look like you sand blasted them. you will have to use a neurtralizer afterwards and then immedialy drop them in oil as they will rust before you eyes... :-D

Chinookpilot77

Get a 5 gallon bucket with a lid, insert chain and cover with sand...roll it around for a while.

This is the same way a person would have polished chain mail 500 years ago. Works like a charm.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I drag mine behind my big mower when I do the big fields. Cleans 'em right up.

I like the idea of sand in a bucket. You could actually take a barrel and place it on rollers tilted at an angle and have a motor drive the barrel like a tumbler like a cement truck.

davesgmc

Get a 5 gallon bucket with a lid, insert chain and cover with sand...roll it around for a while.

This is the same way a person would have polished chain mail 500 years ago. Works like a charm.

they had 5 gallon plastic buckets with lids 500 years ago? wow that is old technology!

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn: Hello!
Can you find a zinc plating facility in your area? They can clean the rust off the chains in a bath, then plate them with zinc plating for you. They might recommend "barrel" plating them instead of rack plating them to get better coverage. The zinc plating will keep them looking nice for several years.
Regards Marti

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
they had 5 gallon plastic buckets with lids 500 years ago? wow that is old technology!

The least you could do is warn someone before you post something like that. I could have spit soda all over the place from laughing.

wideload

I have found the easiest way is to put the chains in a cement mixer with a bag of sand for a couple of hours, they come out like brand new without any localided damage which blast or acid cleaner may create.

Chinookpilot77

Unsure if you're making a joke at my expense or just plain being a smart ass...but nowhere in my post did I say "plastic" They absolutely had these little contraptions called "wine barrels" made of a very old technology called "wood".

oilcan

The gravel road approach is certainly tried and true. I've done it myself several times, but it's best to keep your noggin screwed on straight when you try it. Also, some local LEO's could frown on the practice. I don't know if it'd be better to ask permission or forgiveness for something like this.

Sidebar... I'm glad to see a few people still have a sense of humor.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks