• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Riddle me this (wiring harness)

Pinkie

I need to replace my front wiring harness. I bought on wiring harness at aberdeen but after getting it home I doscovered it was not the right one. No problem. I looked up the right one and ordered it. I get the new on in tonight and discover it is not the right on. The one I bought at aberdeen have and big 60 amp alternator plug but it has a few connections that are ring terminals. The second one I bought has all the correct water proof ones, pachard I think but has a 3 prong plug for the charging system. I do not know the difference between the 2 prong and the 3 prong. So now I am covered in cosmoline (that will not come off) and I need another cool beverage and I am confused . I am looking for some advice on what wiring harness I need.

Pic 1 - what it took to determine the mix up

PIC 2 - helper

PIC 3 - wiring harness that has the correct water proof terminals but has the 3 prong charging circuit

PIC 4- has the right 2 prong alternator plug but has ring terminals while my truck has water proof connectors.

Attachments

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
either harness will work but there are many variables. you will need the harnes to adapt it to your alt assuming you have one. you may need a seperate harness for turn signals to go from 6 terminals on the harness to the flasher and turn switch. the big thing to look for is does the new harnesses have connector for the push to start switch? and does it have the air shift transfer connector? saturn has the mostly correct harness for about $45 but you have to add the turn harness and the alt harness ( you can easily modify for the alt instead of adding a harness)

Pinkie

The harness that has the "big" 2 prong alternator plug has ring terminals where water proof fittings should be for the solid state turn signal box on the fender. The harness that has the 3 prong charging system plug has the light for the front axle switch. Both have the correct push button plug for the starter. My truck has the "big" 2 prong plug right behind the motor. Which is easier to modify? I really do not want to modify either, I would rather have the correct harness thats is just like on the truck now. Thanks m-35tom for your information.

Pinkie

Harness I bought at Aberdeen is NSN 2590-00-076-6001, has the 2 prong plug for the charging system
Harness I ordered is NSN 2590-01-016-3187, Part # 11677081 that has the 3 prong plug for the charging system.

Pinkie

I enjoy my Miller Highlife because no one else will drink it.

The correct harness is 3187. AmGeneral had to beat it into my skull that I had to remove the Alternator Adapter Kit (2 pin big plug) because this harness was all inclusive. I again give a be thanks the AMG to make my 2 brain cells rub together to create enough heat to make sense of this harness. By the way, this harness bag had June 1986 stamped on the bag when I got it this afternoon. I hope this has helped other people as is has helped me figure out what I had to do.

Pinkie

I got the dash done today. There are 2 adaptor "Y" connectors that did not have the be used when putting everything back together as the new wiring harness has the correct number of plugs needed. It seem that if there was a update wiring kit available, it was installed on my truck by the military. If I count correctly, the new harness will replace at least 3 different ones that are currently on my truck. I will include pics and have another update tomorrow as it is raining I am do not have a shop yet.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unfortunately BC is no longer with us to need that info.

Maybe it will help the next guy...

renodogs

Maybe it will help the next guy...

Which exactly the point of the post.

Happy to see someone else that sees the value of sharing information. Here's something to consider for those less inclined to mind their manners when information is shared, say 'thanks' and be on your way.

Some of the folks who actually find something out are more willing to share it if they aren't mocked, chastised, ridiculed or belittled by the self-appointed demi-god sourpusses on this website. :roll:

rustystud

Sadly there are a lot of threads that have ended with no answer, just like this one. I believe it's a good thing if someone does come up with the correct answer and shares it with the rest of the community.

renodogs

Yes, I agree. As to why the posts go unanswered, just check some moderators behavior and you'll see why. As for me, I'm not one to be intimidated by the 'rotten toothed alligators' that cruise this swamp, nor should anyone else.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please PM me or any of the other mods if you think there is a problem with any of the staff.

You can also report any post, anytime. This will let us see and deal with any issues, fast and easily.

From your own advice, in post # 14, you might have just said "thanks" and moved on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks