• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rim and tire set up

CPAPPY

Just want to see pictures of what rims and tires size setup you M1008 / M1028 guy are running . I have a M1028 that I want to put NITTO MUD GRAPPLERS on, the size I want are 38x15.5x 18 any comments on thoughs tires .
Lets see some rim and tire pictures , OH , M1009 also.

OL AG '89

avatar is mine 33x12.5.15 Toyo Open Country M/T's
has a 4 inch lift
38's are going to require at least a 6 inch lift......
15.5 wide is really going to give you trouble up front with steering clearances
Unless you REALLY pump up HP you're going to be dissapointed with performance.
these 6.2's are VERY underpowered I think 179hp or so.....

IMO

OL AG '89

that's a LOT of meat. I think the stock tire is 10 or so wide.
My 12.5's are still inside the fender wells, but just barely!!
You will need a BIG gain in HP to turn those in the thick stuff or if your crawling to go over rocks....
Not sure the 6.2 that's 25 years old would handle that increase without some engine mods or cradles in the engine....

richingalveston

better upgrade steer

for that tire you will need deep offset rims also have to have hydro assist with cross steer and extra frame brace for steering box. or you will spend your time fixing steering. i wouldnt run anything wider than 12 1/2.
going tall robs your power going wide breaks things.

Matt65

37x16.5 Hummer Radials on factory 6.75" wide GM wheels here. This set up has worked well for me. Link in signature with images.

TCUCV

I think Matt65 has it right . . . I'm going for same set up b/c not to much other than lift and tires are needed to fit 37x12.50's(well maybe some fender trimming for me). Then I can slowly upgrade everything else as I begin to off road harder.

Matt65

Matt I thought the Hummer was a 37x13.5x16.5?
and your running a 16.5 wide tire on a 7 inch rim?

REALLY?
The tire is a 37" Tall x 12.5" wide. This tire mounts to a 16.5" diameter wheel. I am running them on 6.75" wide x 16.5" diameter wheel as seen in the pictures. They are at factory GM backspacing ~4". The reduced wheel width (vs. tire width) increases the force required to remove the tire from the wheel once mounted.

I did not want to use the two piece runflat double beadlock because of total wheel weight. This allow me to use less power and fuel to roll down the road, while achiving a more reasonable engine RPM on the highway.

CPAPPY

The tire is a 37" Tall x 12.5" wide. This tire mounts to a 16.5" diameter wheel. I am running them on 6.75" wide x 16.5" diameter wheel as seen in the pictures. They are at factory GM backspacing ~4". The reduced wheel width (vs. tire width) increases the force required to remove the tire from the wheel once mounted.

I did not want to use the two piece runflat double beadlock because of total wheel weight. This allow me to use less power and fuel to roll down the road, while achiving a more reasonable engine RPM on the highway.
Matt I am looking into using 37x 13.5 x 17 instead of the 38x15.5x18. I tlook like the comments im receiving are negative onthe wider tires .

jimmy-90

If you really like the wider tires you certianly can use those if you want. The M1008/1028's are 1-ton trucks with 1 ton running gear. If you have a fresh power steering pump and your steering wheel doesn't have any slop in it then the rest should fine. If you have a braced steering box with crossover steer or a hydro set-up or something like that you should be good to run 18 x 44 inch tires if you wanted to at that point.

OL AG '89

guess I'm just about the details.....
I'm good with the correct size....
I agree if you got too big, you'll eventually run into steering box issues.
These trucks are inherrently bad on breaking the gearbox off the frame without some bracing.

ODdave

its not a cucv but same idea. this truck has a cross over steer conv. 39.5-18-15, 12in spring lift and i beat the snot out of it. no frame cracking problems yet. I am NOT saying it dosnt happen but if you run a 12.50 wide tire and arn't hard wheeling i think you will be fine as far as the frame goes.2cents

Attachments

DokWatson

I'm running 15/42/15 super swampers. Anyone who says the 6.2 is way under powered with big tires doesn't know what they are talking about. Its all about gear ratio and how to use it, wheel speed isn't everything. 4 low makes it a whole different beast.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks