• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ring Mount Information Needed

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I got her a ring!! I am using the M36 legs and brackets, these are the early cast brackets that clamp on the legs and an M49 ring. Got the legs up with no issues, but am having a time getting the ring to align with the arms. I have 4 different plates that attach to the arms. I looked all over the net and this site, including the TM section, and can't find any installation TM's. The brackets have me confused, does anyone have the M49 mounted on their truck that you could snap a few pics of the plates when the whole thing is mounted up?

68t

The m49 is ww2 ring, are you going to put it on a 60e and up trucks. the post war cab mounts might be a different location. i not sure what year they stop using the 49. i going to put a m49c on my ww2 semi, but it is not correct but all i got. also it full flange for high speed tractor and m3 preist, and very heavy.

68t

i went to my old military magizne issue 97, page 134 . dd did a write up on the m49 and m 36 . if you got that issue it might can help,

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll go lookk through my back issues. The ring and legs are 1968 issue...mfg date on the data plates. They are sand colored with what looks like sg OD under the tan.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are a few pics of what I have. I don't think the arms are are on the wrong side due to the mount holes for the can holders and the outline of the removed holder on the arm. I just can't seem to figure out which bracket goes where and that info still seems to be not for public release. I don't have the back issue mentioned above, so, no help there. I got an image from FM23-65 but it shows the welded arms. I have a copy of TM9-1005-245-14, no pic of the truck mount. I have looked all over the net and here but no pics of the ring mounted.
Yes, I know the ring is upside down, just so the lock doesn't break during transit.
Also, the tabs on the ring are offset. I ASSUME the side with the larger space between the tabs goes on the drivers side?

TIA,
Will

Attachments

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All three of the legs need to be different. Can't tell if this is the case from your pics.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The m49 is ww2 ring, are you going to put it on a 60e and up trucks. the post war cab mounts might be a different location. .
The unit I was in while stationed in Germany during 70-71 had what appeared to be M49 ring mounts on the deuces and 5 tons that had rings. I don't know when they quit using the 'M49', but the Army definitely used them in the early 70s.

Last edited:

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like I said I KNOW these came off of M35 trucks. I am hoping someone can shed some light.

CatMan

The WWII M36 Mount with the M49 ring will fit the WWII trucks and the M35's.

I have had mine with welded legs on the M35A2 and now on the CCKW. Go over to the CCKW web site and check out the detail pictures at M-36 Ring Mount

The layout is the same on the M35A2. The leg at the front is different that the rear ones. And the curved bracket should be on the front post.

The Ring Mount manual is TM9-2016.

The M49 ring has a top and bottom side and it can be installed upside down. The way the pictures are on the CCKW installation show it incorrectly installed. Notice the ears on brackets on the M-49 ring are not exactly in the center. The tall side goes up. Even some editions of the TM's are wrong on this and are shown incorrect. We have researched it back to the Mfg drawings and early manuals.

You'll also see the adapter bracket installed on the left rear leg bracket. Your photo looks like you have the whole set. The adapters are always missing. SAVE THEM ALL for patterns for others. Different adepters for different trucks.

Good luck

Cat Man

68t

thanks will, for the post and pictures. this has help me out too. i went to cat man pictures on cckw, great pictues, thanks you. i am going to repo me a m36 set . i can,t afford to buy a set, i only going to local mv parades and events.

Ahh, a M49 gun ring is on my list, too. But the chances to get hold of one over here are very dim.
I have a collection of contemporary pictures from Vietnam / 60ies and I have only seen M49 gun rings on the trucks, not a single M60.

E.g. here (that is one of my favourite pictures, quite dramatic in my opinion) :

ttp://www.m35-deuce.de/gallery/classic_images/classics/gun%20trucks/slides/va020915.html

or

Classic_Deuce/classics/gun trucks

So I think from the historical point the M49 is perfect for a deuce in OG colors.

Cheers,
Mark

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks all! Mark, your pics are awsome and, one in particular, was a giant help! Craig has a copy of TM9-2016 from 1957 in the library, so I now have a mess more to go by. If anyone has a pic of the ring mounted taken from the rear, that would be the icing on the cake! :beer:

Attachments

Westex

Will, I'm curious as to where the pics came from in your post #12. THAT is cool. Look at the cigarette in the driver's mouth. Are those Deuces? Air filter looks like a five ton but it's on the wrong side. ?

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That pic is out of roger-wilco 66's album link in his post, Lots of cool gun truck pics there! The other image is from the TM9-2016 that I have in front of me. It is a 5 ton with a multi in it.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well after studying the pics and manuals, I was able to figure out the mounts and got it up! Turned out to be the largest bracket mounted on the drivers side and no others, the ring just bolts directly to the arms. Not too hewavy, just awkward. I took the trolley apart and gave it a good lube today and refreshed the cradle. Can't wait to give it a try! I got the cab reenforcement plate in the truck, just gotta rivit it in. Thanks to all who took the time to see what they had on this project. A BIG thanks to Craig, he knows why ;-).

Attachments

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had 2 complete M-66 rings and all hardware. I just could not see putting all that weight up there and risking cracking the cab sometime down the road. I really like the M49. It looks substantially lighter. What do you think just the ring weighs?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks