• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Road Speed

MolderBrown

I am looking to buy a M-37WC, and knowing that their top speed (OEM) is only about 50 to 60 mph , I would like to "adjust" the old darling so as to at least keep up with traffic , and not get run over . I am NOT a mechanic , but I believe I've heard that If I change the ratio of ring and pinion gears in the rear-end , that I would derive more speed .Doing this (or whatever is needed) would cost me a commensurate loss of power , but I'm not gonna be using it as a tractor , so the loss of a little power doesn't matter . Any assistance that anyone might offer would be greatly appreciated . If you want , you can email me at --- molderbrown@gmail.com . Thanks

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Better pick something else to drive. 45-50 is a realistic top speed, any faster and engine is screaming. Stock brakes are not safe at higher speeds.

These are best for around town, or back country roads, not high speed.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you make an M37 go that fast? Yes. But you will have to change the gearing, put a much better braking system on (people love to make things with more go but forget about the whoa!) and probably swap out the engine as well as the flatheads don't like overreving AT ALL.

It's the nature of the beast. If you want to drive a MV, you have to pretty much forget about keeping up with traffic! Only a few MV's were built and designed to reach, maintain, and come to a stop from modern highway speeds.

Thunder in NWOR

The M37s we had in VietNam would hit the governor at about 46 MPH indicated on speedometer.
If you have ever REALLY NEEDED to stop, 45 is way fast enough for the stock brakes (that are in servicable condition), even with no cargo.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
An M-37 over 45 is scary. Even with good stock brakes. They are rated 55 but they scream for mercy at that speed.
Little-Truck likes 40 MPH and even gets some sense of fuel mileage at that speed.

You can change the gears, but where is the additional power going to come from? They struggle with the stock gearing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks