• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

RT-524 low transmit power

CommoChief

I have low transmit distance on my RT-524. Receiving seems OK but
I can only transmit for a short distance before the other radio
operators lose me. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance....Bill

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What frequency are you transmitting on? 6 meters? Is the antenna hooked up properly? Can you put an SWR meter in-line and see what the ratio is? When was the radio last checked into a dummy load? Are you using an MX-6708 base on a vehicle, or an AT-292 base station antenna, or a civilian antenna? So many possibilities, help us narrow them down a bit.

CommoChief

This radio is mounted in a deuce using the 1029 base. I have the full size antenna, sugar scoop, etc. I do not have an SWR meter however I have tried other radios in my set-up and they work fine. I have also tried my radio in other trucks and get the same results...low transmit distance. The radio guys at the Gilbert show said it may be the "transmit module".
I can use the radio for convoy situations in parades but would like to be able to get the distance the radio was intended for. We use frequency 51. Just wondering if anyone here has had a similar situation.

kc5mzd

There are people here with knowledge of trouble shooting radios but more info is needed. Some pics would be very helpful. Pictures of the antenna, the plug that hooks the coax to the antenna, the radio, the radio turned on and the display while transmitting, the back of the radio, the plug and cable going into the radio and more stuff I haven't thought of yet will be very helpful. Also the exact frequency in MHZ you are using. The frequency should be 2 or 3 digits a . and a few more digits.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
He's using 6 meters, 51.000 Mhz according to what he posted. We need to know what antenna base he is using - The AS-3900 will not work well with the RT-524. The older MX base should be set for the 6 meter range manually and the control wires not hooked up since that's the only legal frequency range to operate on with an Amateur Radio License. Pictures of the radio, front and back, and the antenna base, horizontal and from below would definitely help.

CommoChief

Thanks Mike and all...I am working a heavy schedule so won't be able to post pics for a few days. I appreciate all of the help.

cagosti

You are going to Need some minimum test equipment
borrow a RF power meter for starts .. and tell the us power measurements to and back from antenna system

papakb

First off measure the high voltages on the A9000 module and make sure they're in spec. Your looking at 275 and 700 volts here so if your not comfortable with that find someone who is. This can be dangerous. Then measure the RF into the PA module on the gray cable with an RF power meter. If they all look good have someone knowledgeable replace the output 7843 tube. This is not a job for a novice. There are couplings and connectors that need to be connected properly for the radio to come back to life.

Kurt
KG6KMJ

Last edited:

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
He's using 6 meters, 51.000 Mhz according to what he posted. We need to know what antenna base he is using - The AS-3900 will not work well with the RT-524. The older MX base should be set for the 6 meter range manually and the control wires not hooked up since that's the only legal frequency range to operate on with an Amateur Radio License. Pictures of the radio, front and back, and the antenna base, horizontal and from below would definitely help.
How bad is it? I have the AS3900 and RT524, haven't hooked up the antenna yet. How do I test the antenna BTW. I don't want to burn up the radio. Thanks

papakb

For your first go-round leave the radio in low power mode and make sure you have a VSWR meter inline with the antenna to measure forward versus reflected power. Key up the transmitter and see what it reads. If your forward to reflected power is 3:1 or better try high power. There's nothing wrong with a VRC-12/AS-3900 configuration.

Bob W, if your having mic problems in SSB on your 524 you really do have a problem since these are wideband FM sets.

Steve's a good guy but can sometimes be a little hard to get hold of.

Kurt
KG6KMJ

Last edited:

CommoChief

Greetings All,

First let me say "Thank You" to all of you for sharing your knowledge and for your willingness to help. A special "Thank You" to m38inmaine...Mark sent me the use of his PRM-34....Thank you Mark!!!! Here are some data from his Radio Test Set.

Forward Power on Low 1.5 watts
Forward Power on High 30.7 watts

Reflected Power on Low 0.5 watts
Reflected Power on High 4.7 watts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks