• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Run a multifuel without coolant ?

acesneights1

The radiator petcock came out on a deuce I have. It's like 8deg windchill right now and the truck is sitting about 80 feet from a nice warm shop bay but I have to start it with no antifreeze in this cold and drive it in.
think I could hurt it ? Pulling or pushing it is not an option. The yard is a sheet of ice.

acesneights1

My other thought was try and jam a peg in it and pour a gallon or two back in and run it with the cap off

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just drive it, it will be ok.

acesneights1

Ok, my only worry was it's so cold out with no antifreeze that it might heat up to quick and shift a liner or something.
Sunday I get to further enhance my radiator repair skills. I had to fix the one in my M1008 when the exact same thing happened to it Monday night with up to 2 ft of snow due the next morning and it being my plow truck.
I'm more confident now fixing them.

TsgtB

I would think the block still has a LOT of fluid in it. I drained the rad first on my engine swap, but when I drained the block, there was way more than I expected.

teletech

Yep, it's fine to drive dry. If you were going to run it for more than 5-7 minutes I'd be concerned about the water pump or thermal gain.

rustystud

Totally agree with all here. There has been times when we drove trucks into the shop without any anti-freeze and almost no oil in them. Warning buzzers going off like crazy ! Your not going to be revving it so there really will be almost no heat for a few minutes.

pitpawten

Doesn't coolant also circulate through the oil cooler as well?

I have a hole in my oil cooler cover which is leaking my antifreeze so I've been hesitant to drive it for a while.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

teletech

Yes, coolant passes through the oil cooler. A small leak or short drive represents no hazard in operation, but a long hill-climb with a load without coolant would cook your engine right-enough.

Doesn't coolant also circulate through the oil cooler as well?

I have a hole in my oil cooler cover which is leaking my antifreeze so I've been hesitant to drive it for a while.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drive it in like it is. There is still a lot of (I assume it has it) antifreeze in the block. If it did have antifreeze in it, which I assume it did since it is so cold there, then if you add water you will have to drain everything to get the proper antifreeze mix again when you refill it. Diesels do not warm up as fast as gas motors especially if you are not putting them under heavier load.

Csm Davis

While in diesel mechanics school we had several engines that never had coolanr or even a radiator on their test stand you can fire up many of the old diesels and run them for about 5 minutes before they get hot. We would just keep a hand on the head until it felt hot then shut it down.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks