• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Run Flats on a3 wheels?

welldigger

OK so I am finally getting everything together and getting ready to convert my truck from the duals to 395's. So today I picked up 7 michelin xzl's from the nearest surplus tire dealer I could find. The tires all appear to be good. Inside every tire is a run flat. I have 2 questions here.

1. Is it OK to use the run flats on a3 wheels and if so, do they mount like the bead locks do?

2. If these are not OK to run then how the heck do I get these things out of the tire?

The reason I'm asking is the a3 wheels are 11" wide and the run flats are maybe 8" wide. I am unsure if that matters like it does with the bead locks.IMG_20130626_171107_501.jpg

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think they will work but I am really replying for your second question. I have taken these out before and I actually used a chainsaw to cut from the inside and go up until I got close to the tire then cut from the top down with a sawzall to complete the cut. Then I wrapped a chain around one end and pulled it out with my Bobcat. If you want to take them out without ruining them good luck!

Also your 8" measurement is close but you have to add in the thickness of the tire bead times 2.

Last edited:

welldigger

I think they will work but I am really replying for your second question. I have taken these out before and I actually used a chainsaw to cut from the inside and go up until I got close to the tire then cut from the top down with a sawzall to complete the cut. Then I wrapped a chain around one end and pulled it out with my Bobcat. If you want to take them out without ruining them good luck!

Also your 8" measurement is close but you have to add in the thickness of the tire bead times 2.
Using a chainsaw is exactly what the guy who sold me the tires said to use. I'm not super comfortable with that idea but I guess you use what you must. Honestly I would like to run them. But, I just don't know if they will work with my wheels.

The 8" guess still concerns me even with adding the 2 beads. Hemtt wheels are 10" and a3 wheels are 11". These tires came out of Red River Army Depot in Hooks TX. So there's no telling what they came off of.

Last edited:

welldigger

I should also add that I didn't pay extra for the run flats. So if I don't use them, I don't really care if I destroy them to remove them. Though, I guess it would be a bonus if I can remove them intact.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought the same thing when I got mine, I figured I could sell them if I didn't ruin them. Well I looked at the manufacturer of the run flats web site (Hutchinson I believe) and they show how to do it with a ratchet strap. Well mine had that black slime in them still and made it very difficult to work with so chainsaw and soapy water was the next step.

welldigger

Ya its looking more and more like I'm going to get a long sawzall blade and try my luck cutting these things out. I about needed my trackhoe to unload these things from the trailer. I'm thinking more and more about getting some pallet forks for my mini-skid. Anyways, with the width of my wheels I don't see how they are going to stay in place. If my wheels were 10" then it would work but since mine are 11" then I'm worried they will move side to side in the tire and I don't know what havoc that would cause. Mine are also filled with that black nasty gew. I'm assuming that's some kind of lube?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Set a motor crane on the tire. Hose the tire with lube. Pull run-flat from inside tire with motor cane. Watch out once the tire lets go of the run-flat, it will bounce around a lot!

goodguyzy

I like how the video set up worked, I was wondering how many fingers I was going to lose. I like being in a truck cab when it pops out.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The right ones might. They didn't come with them, so you'll have to be careful. Even if you just get bead locks, some are 10 inches wide, A3's need 11 inch wide ones.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks