• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Runaway!

edpdx

I just had about the most harrowing event of my (surely shortened) life. I had the top of the IP off to adjust the Face cam. I got too comfortable reinstalling the top and I'm guessing I missed setting the lever n the right spot. As soon as I cranked it over all #311 broke loose. I knew what had happened, but I was not prepared for the loud noise, black smoke and overwhelming feeling that the engine would blow me up as I tried to figure out how to stop the engine.

I pulled a battery cable- no luck, the IP return hose, no luck, finally I grabbed the fuel supply line and snatched it away from the spin-on mount. I literally tore the hose apart- the hose clamp kept a piece.

My family came out- I shooed them away as I bent over to choke up the black lung.

I will never, so help me, not have a plan to pull the fuel line in mind next time I mess with the fuel injection pump. Never!

Should I assume the engine is toast?

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is this a poll? Sorry you had to go through it but if nobody gets hurt it's just experience so you're good. The poor guy that was operating my 3 yr old S330 monster bobcat sure got a scare sitting right in front of a Bobcat engine that ran away on him....while I stood next to it. Our screamer shut off with the key but it's intimidating because we can envision the pistons coming through the side of the engine when they yell like that.

I'm going to guess that the Governor of Oregon kept your RPM lower than a private would after he was told to drive it like he stole it.

I'm just the gardener so let's hope some of those racing 6.2 folks jump in and give you the gears. My optimism says you'll be good to go, even if it rattles a little now.

sneekyeye

It may well be, it might not be. The only way to know is to get it running and listen to it or maybe do a compression test.

nyoffroad

I think it's fine, I had suck in a red shop towel once. I'm sure it was funny to watch me struggling to pull the rag out and shut the darn thing off at the same time. Ended up pulling one head as the rag was stuck in the valves! Engine was fine.

edpdx

After several weeks of life without my Blazer, I finally have it road worthy again, and so fa, it is running very smooth. I had this runaway, and then I was scared $4!+13$$ to even start the buggar. With help and recommendations from net friends willing to share, I was able to put the face collar and advance Rocker Arm where they should be (or like to be, or don't mind being at). Shift points are nice and smooth at 23/38. Starts fine. No smoke or noise, more power than before when I couldn't get past 40MPH. Runs right up to freeway speed as fast as you like. I'm happy.

Probably a good time to get the seam at the top of the windshield repaired- body shop I guess? and then a new windshield... woohoooo.

Thanks for all help given.

oboyjohn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I once had a MTU 383 engine out of a Leopard 1 run away on me. It had been in storage for years and I was tasked to do an evaluation if it was repairable. The fuel system was bone dry and had to fill it up and bleed it. After numerous attempts it started to buck, trying to start. Finally it caught and immediately took off. Within 3 seconds it went from starting speed to well past red line. Scared the @#$% out of me. My partner outside of the test cell was pulling on the manual fuel shut off for all he was worth and it did shut off after about 15-20 seconds of banshee screaming that I have never heard that engine make before or since. On the exhaust pipes in the test cell, they are covered in Nomex, and they were smoking from the intense heat from that short run. The engine was making those noises an overheated engine makes, a tinging sound after it finally shut down. I didn't even bother continue testing the engine and sent it for a complete inspection and rebuild.

hrbergeron

Steel Soldiers Supporter
At the end of the day no one was hurt and it is a teachable moment. For military vehicles, I have only had a HMMWV engine run away from me, due to a bad fuel shut off solenoid and a seized throttle cable. I've had old tractors (1940s, 50s) run away before for various reasons.

Diesel engines need fuel and air to run. Take away one and the engine will stop. But keep in mind if your engine is well used and the cylinder rings are worn, the engine can run away just by burning engine oil. I had that happen once in a 1950s Massey Ferguson tractor.

In your case with a CUCV, the easiest way would be to put a wide board of wood over the intake which stops the air from coming in. You could do it with or without the air filter installed. I wouldn't use a rag unless the air filter is still on.

MarcusOReallyus

This is why we should all carry a good 5 or 10 pound CO2 extinguisher with us. That will put out a diesel with no risk of damaging the engine.

Now as to why none of us do..... ;)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks