• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

running a multi (LDT) w/o fan and or radiator

move it w/ no radiator?

• complete install first

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • just install the radiator then move

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • move it before installing the fan/ radiator

Votes: 14 56.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I have pulled the radiator and fan from my deuce so I can have the radiator repaired. It worked out that I was able to pull them in daylight, but I may not be so lucky when I go to reinstall. Where the truck is sitting I have no access to electricity, but if I move it a quarter of a mile I can have power and park under some nice flood lights.

So...

would completely reinstall where it sits,
just install the radiator & add coolant then move it,
or
move it first and reinstall everything after.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Flashlight?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've ran my crane without a cooling system for 10 minutes at a time before. Just remember how long it takes to bring them up to temp. Can you run the distance at 1000 RPM in say 3rd gear? What is the ambient temps outside? I don't think it would be a problem but your mileage may vary. PS, I've ran canned motors that long as well and you could still touch the cylinder heads with your hand.

ctmustang

By all means yes. You can safely drive the quarter mile without the coolant system intact. Just drive it normally and get it to where you are going and park it quickly. I've been in the heavy mechanic business for 24 years and have done similar so many times.
CT

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
By all means yes. You can safely drive the quarter mile without the coolant system intact. Just drive it normally and get it to where you are going and park it quickly. I've been in the heavy mechanic business for 24 years and have done similar so many times.
CT
Let me make sure I understand, it is OK to run a truck 1/4 mile with no water in the block whatsoever? It won't warp?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Takes a good long time to get them up to a mere 100 degrees. Truthfully you could probably run it with no load for 30 minutes without getting it very hot.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
But what about the water pump bearing?

derby

:ditto: That is what i was thinking. cheap insurance. It might be ok to run it without the radiator but I would hate damage something else.

scrapman

Start it, light on the throttle, short shifting to get to 3rd gear quick, don't rev much past 1500rpm and you're done in less than 7 minutes. And where you are at the temperture has chilled that big chunk of cast iron motor through & through.

Keith_J

Connect (short cut) both radiator hoses temporarily, fill it with water as much as possible and drive 10 miles or more if you had to.

G.

Exactly! If it is under 50 F, you should be golden, just watch the temp gauge! Direct injected engines have the most heat in the piston, the heads are relatively cool. And no full throttle, at part throttle, there is little heating.

JAYHAWK 1962

Ditto, interesting thread. They taught us the two easiest ways to kill an engine is to run them, 1) without oil,
2) without coolant.
Personally i do not think i would risk it with my vehicles.
Just my opinion. Thanks

Stan Leschert

When running demollition derby we did much worse. That being said, while anything can be possible, a lot of things are not advisable. It is your investment, so it's up to you. If you really must move the rig, reconnect the rad lines, refill the coolant and keep a very close eye on the temp gauge. Remember, that gauge only works when it has fluid in the system to measure. Borrowing a flashlight or a Gen Set is a lot cjeaper than doing a main power pack Re & Re. Git Her Done would not be the wisest of options here, but it's your money,

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can drag it to where your going with a pickup. Your going to have hot spots in the engine. Besides all that stuff, your going to loose stuff and it takes time to move the stuff/tools/bolts off the fenders. Get a coleman lantern and put it back together. You'll be done in an hour! That will take less time, then moving it. A radiator is nothing!. I replaced a broken valve at night, along the road, at 0 degrees, holding a flashlight in my mouth. Just go put it together!

Lee in Alaska

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks