• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

rust repair

acthomp781

Hello. I want to start with a big THANK YOU to everyone on this site. This site has made owning an M1009 much easier. I have looked, maybe not enough, but have not found any info on the rust I have. I want to repair this so it will not get worse. I am assuming the antenna hole on the passenger side was left open causing this. I have no experience with body work. Thank you for your time.DSCN2489.jpg

MarcusOReallyus

That's cut it out and weld in new steel territory. You aren't going to patch that.

If you can do that kind of work yourself, go for it. If not, see if you can find a body shop that does. Not all will.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
acthomp781;2048623 I am assuming the antenna hole on the passenger side was left open causing this. [/QUOTE said:
I'd guess that being in Ohio has much more to do with that corrosion than does the antenna holes. Anyway, rust is rust, no matter what vehicle it has attacked and has to be taken care of in pretty much the same way. In other words, it's generic, not CUCV specific, which may be why there aren't many posts about it.
You may want to check the more important stuff underneath before worrying about what's shown in the photo.

Drock

If you have a Mig welder, floor pans and inner structure like this is a real good place to learn rust repair. You can basically make all the pieces out of 18 gauge sheet metal, tin snips, and a hammer & dolly. just remember, focus on making strong welds, the grinder will make it pretty:beer:

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
after you are done get your truck oil sprayed, also check the truck for water leaks , they all have them, and you need to get the oil into the vehicles structure, almost all the sheet metal parts are out there new after market,

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you can MIG weld try to do it yourself, if not have a shop cut it out and replace. In the long run that is the best way.
LMC truck has a lot of body part for sale, they are new and should not be to bad to weld in.
http://www.lmctruck.com

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you can MIG weld try to do it yourself, if not have a shop cut it out and replace.
Buying a MIG and learning to use it (if I could, anybody can) would pay for itself on that repair alone, I would think.
And then there's the chance that there's more rust damage to be found, so getting a MIG would really pay off.

MarcusOReallyus

Buying a MIG and learning to use it (if I could, anybody can) would pay for itself on that repair alone, I would think.
And then there's the chance that there's more rust damage to be found, so getting a MIG would really pay off.

Agreed. Mine paid for itself with the first repair I did.

acthomp781

Thanks everyone. I think getting a MIG welder and learning my self is the way to go. I am sure there are somewhat inexpensive MIG welders that will be good for occasional use. Yea! I get to buy more tools!:grin:

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you get the welder be sure to just do short welds on the new panel and move around from spot to spot a lot. That way you do not warp the metal.
Some thing like this and then just keep working from spot to spot till it is all welded. slow but sure.[thumbzup]

Attachments

acthomp781

M35A2-AZ. Thanks for the tips. Are the smaller holes on top of a support or cross member? If they are, is that so the welding material goes through the hole to the metal underneath? Thanks again.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks everyone. I think getting a MIG welder and learning my self is the way to go. I am sure there are somewhat inexpensive MIG welders that will be good for occasional use. Yea! I get to buy more tools!:grin:
Good decision, I think. And there are lots of MIGs to choose from.
You may want to get something better than inexpensive, though. It'll be easier to use and last longer.

MarcusOReallyus

There are a ton of good welding vids on Youtube. This guy has a lot of good stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/user/weldingtipsandtricks

OR just search for "MIG welding tutorial" and you'll get a bunch of links.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, and you might find it easier to practice a bit on 1/4" to 1/2" scrap steel before trying to weld sheet metal. Once you have the principle down it'll largely be a matter of having the Amp and wire feed settings right for thin stuff.

joshuak

Good call!

I'd like to suggest not trying to use flux core wire for sheet metal. IMHO, it brings the suck.

0.023 wire with shielding gas, is much more user friendly. YMMV

Good luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks