• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rustoleum Leak Seal, First Impressions

Katahdin

I've been plugging some leaks in my 109 Box and I'm using Rustoleum Leak Seal to fill in the cracks between body panels, over rivet holes, etc. It appears to be a relatively new product, a copy of "Flex Seal" seen on TV. here are my initial thoughts:

1) Its not a very "pretty" coating, use it where it'll be hidden, inside walls, roofs, etc. It will never be mistaken for paint, even if you put paint over it.

2) It sprays on thick and bubbly. Be careful, it will probably spatter so mask off areas you want to keep it from sticking to. The bubbles will dissipate some but it will leave a rough built up texture.

3) If it spatters where you don't want it its not a big deal. Let it harden and you can scrape it off easily, tiny spots will come off with your fingernail. Haven't tried sanding or grinding it yet but I think it will flap-disk or wire-wheel off a lot easier than a silicone roof sealant like geocel RV sealant, or other rubberized undercoatings which is a big plus if you need to go back and touch up a spot.

4) Its a lot easier to apply than a silicone based sealant you need to brush or bead on. Another big plus.

5) Let it dry 48 hours before a rain storm, I initially applied some inside the van walls the night before we got 6 inches of rain and I could see the coating bubble up where water was infiltrating through the walls.

6) Easy to buy at Home Depot for $9 can, which makes it more readily available then "Flex Seal" on TV. A can doesn't last long tho, it doesn't cover much area.

7) I got some on my hands, it does clean up very easy with mineral spirits.

I haven't tried topcoating it yet, that will be my next impression, and no, I won't be floating my M109 like a canoe.

DeucesWild11

Thanks, that may work out great to tape off and spray over where my hard top comes together with the back panel and where the back panel meets the cab. (To keep rain water out of the cab) Too bad I already used some clear silicone over the rubber gasket! There are probably a bunch of places to use that on a deuce. Thanks for sharing!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks