• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

RV hook up to a MEP-803a

Blackbear

Here's the deal, I have a Mep-803a I would like to hook up to my 40 foot RV,
its a 50 amp plug, what's the best way to do this? I'm looking for a black box I can mount on the trailer wired to the generator, then use my RV plug into a 50amp socket, along with maybe an eight pack of 120 outlets. The wiring inside the Rv is possibly too light to handle a direct wire, I want to use the plug wit h maybe a fuse box if possible. Like an Rv park hookup.
ok let the magic happen!
thanks all

blackbear TX-KY, Duece ranch outfitters.

uniquify

I wired an outdoor 50 amp RV panel to my 803.

The panel I used had 3 outlets on it, each on a dedicated breaker. There was a 14-50R (50a 240v 4-wire), a 5-20R (duplex 20a 120v GFI), and a TT-30R (30a 120v camper plug). Seems like it was an Eaton CHU1N9N4NS or similar that came from the local home improvement store.

The panel also had some knockouts for expansion, so I added some more breakers and an assortment of outlets. Never know what you might want to plug in during an emergency...

Last edited:

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
A lot will depend upon the location of items. Temp setup? A easy at home where the RV is always parked setup?

I would say maybe something like this Outdoor RV Panel which gives you your 50amp plug, and a duplex 20amp plug. Circuit breakers covering both. Being connected back to the MEP-803A thru 6/4 SOOW cord. The panel is outdoor rated, and has a recessed area for in use covered door.

or
just wire a pigtail out to a outdoor 50amp rv outlet.

Blackbear

Sure great idea, I need to return some of the good carma I have received over the last year.
For a quick run down, I bought everything at Lowes one trip.
I purchased a 50 amp plug in a nema like box, it comes with a cover, also a grommet connector to attach up through the bottom of the box. I'm using 6 gauge outdoor,weather rated grade, it's a little more money but I'm only buying three feet and I won't even use that. I'll be mounting the box somewhere on the fender or hopefully behind the front tool box, I need to be carefully the doors still open, but there is room. Wiring will be straight to the box, and I will just crimps the wires directly and not use lugs, the nuts crimp it down nicely. I will select single phase, you need fold down the front panel to get to the selector. Then on the main panel I will select L1-L3, 120/240. The wires will hook up (four in total) two 120 volt hot wires and then a ground and a neutral on the main poles.i hope this helps

I will send pics when I can, I'm deep in the my woods bow hunting "off the grid"
cheers
Blackbear

Blackbear

I also wanted to add, I did not wire in a breaker, I felt the RV has it s own breaker box, and the generator has its internal fuses, I felt it was too redundant, please let me know.

jimbo913

The 803A can output much more than 50A 240v, but the RV should have internal breakers to protect the wiring, so I think you will be fine. I used a 60A breaker and 4/4 to connect my 803A to my house.

Last edited:

Blackbear

I like that idea, when I'm ready for that hook up I'll ring back, I might also plug in a bank of 120 plugs to it, or I suppose I can plug in a power strip to the two on the front right? Or should I wire the poles directly with a box of outlets?

jimbo913

You have to be careful with the convenience receptacles because they are only rated for 10A and you can easily trip the generator breaker. I would wire another set of wires into the power panel if you need additional 120v outlets. I have mine wired with a 4/4 60A plug and a 6/3 30/50A plug. Generally I only use one at a time but I could use both provided I didn't draw too many amps.

jimbo913

Make sure you are grounding properly. I am no expert in electrical so you should consult with an electrician to be safe if you have any doubts about your particular setup.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok perfect so in wiring additional outlets would is just be one pole and the ground. Two wires right? That's a standard 120 outlet I think.
NO, You have a hot (usually a black insulated wire), a neutral (the white insulated wire), and a Ground (the green insulated (or bare copper) wire. All three need to be hooked up. I am by no means an electrician, but I know that much.

jimbo913

120V would be 3-wires (hot, nuteral and ground). Your 240V should be 4-wire (2-hot, nuetral and ground). For a typical stand alone generator not connected to a house with its own ground, you would drive a ground rod and make sure the copper jumper is in place between nuteral and ground in the generator. This is where you can get into trouble depending on specific setup you have.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks