• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Safety Chains for use with Towbar

JDToumanian

Hi Group,
I will soon be making the 400+ mile round trip to pick up my "new" 1952 Studebaker V-18A/MTQ earth borer / pole setter truck. Here's the thread about it:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=8832

I am still waiting for paperwork issues to be resolved, but an exciting piece of news - The winch and it's drive shaft is included, as well as some additional tooling. Hopefully that includes the pole jack, a BII for these trucks and difficult to replace if it's gone. (I don't see it in any of the pics, and it's too big to stash in a tool box) Why the winch was removed in the first place remains to be seen...

I will be towing it home with my deuce and medium towbar. I've spent quite a bit of time and money making sure the trip will go smoothly. I made up a set of 24v magnetic towing lights with a plug that fits the deuce's trailer receptacle, and I have lots of tools ready to go, including air tools and my 1" impact for changing tires. I have lots of other stuff like reflective triangles and road flares.

The last thing I need to do is figure out some safety chains. I plan to use 1/2" grade 70 transport chain. The V-18A weighs ~18,000lbs. Will two of those be sufficient?

My other concern is where to attach chains... I assume using the rear shackles of the deuce, but where on the V-18A? Using the bumper seems bad. Hooking them to the front axle? That seems better, but how to do it cleanly and professionally? Do you guys that tow with your towbars a lot even bother with safety chains? I think it is worth the effort, and I want to make a good job of it.

Regards,
Jon

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use the handles on the front of the frame when I tow. I also use a large wire tie and tie up the chain to the towbar to keep it from dragging. Now, here has been my experience and I don't know if it will be yours. I've towed around a dozen M35A2s with the towbar. One even was sans engine. Each and every one would try to turn in the opposite directions in sharp right had turns. I've also towed 2 gasser deuces. A 1952 Studebaker M275 and my 1953 Studebaker M108. Both of the older deuced followed me in and through every turn. Don't know why but that's my experience.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Of all the vehicles I've towed, or been towed in, the pavement kept them in line. I have made sure that tire pressure was at the top end though. When ever we got off pavement, thats when things stopped tracking well. I have not used chains in addition to the towbar, but we have not towed a vehicle more than 45 min. The 1" pins got bent once, but never at any other time. I think that it would take alot of carelessness to snap a pin but I will not say it cannot be done. Take your time and be cautious(sp?) and things should go favorably. If you are nervous, and have a friend with enough free time, have them ride in the deuce-"just in case. It could help in steering and braking. Just my 2 cents.

nickd

ZYou mite remember my steering box explosion a few months ago that led to an article in MVM. The box internally distructed during a trail tide in the NJ pines. Our trail rides are a test of our M35's ability to traverse rough terrain as seen in our photos and videos on this site. With the steering box being removed from the mix, there was no way to move the truck under its own power utilizing the steering wheel. The spot where it gave out was in between trees in a tight S turn. In order to manuver my truck inot position we jacked uo the front end and manually positioned the wheels in a turn and drove a few feet at a time to clear the obstructions and hook up the tow bar to Marksgarage2' deuce. We were about 15 miles deep in the woods from hard roads with a water crossing bring the worst obstacle to cross. Once the tow bar was mounted on the vehicles we were amazed how well the towed vehicle tracked behind marks deuce. 2 things, I always carry my tow bar where ever I go, and I always carry tools and other stuff so I can get out of what ever we get into. We did not use a safety chain that time but I have added 2 3/8 towing chains as a safety measure for next time.

acetomatoco

as the tie down shackles are used with the wrecker whiffle tree for lifting and towing, they were designed just for that purpose.. I typically run a good 3/8 safety chain from the tiedowns on the tower along the tow bar to around the frame behind the street side of the towee tie down shackle...use safety hooks or tape the opening on grab hooks to prevent shaking off.. I always tie the steering wheel loosely with manila rope to allow about one turn... so it wont go lock to lock on the box when making a turn...you may drag a little, but it won't try to head for the South Forty on you...disconnect the forward rear drive shaft at its rear and tie up....and if you have a sprag... take off the front axle caps..and cover with 10000 mph tape or use the poor man's free wheeling hubs... splines machined out of std caps... ACE

JDToumanian

Thanks guys, I'll go get the chain and hooks this week. I'll post pics of what I come up with for your approval.

To some extent I feel the chains are "just for show" in case a CHP driving along looks over my towing arrangement - some nice big safety chains could prevent me from getting pulled over.... And since I'm going to buy safety chains I figure I may as well put together something nice. It will be useful in the future.

Thanks for the tip on tying the steering wheel, Ace... I'll bring some rope. What do you tie it to?

Regards,
Jon

davesgmc

I had a friend tow my m211 home, about 30 miles or so I think. We simply used the LARGE tow bar. We did slap a chain on "just in case type thing". But the large tow bar we were using, if it broke, aint NO chain gonna hold it. We didnt tie the steering wheel at all. It tracked perfectly. I was following in my mini van, got a few shots while driving too. Greg said it stopped just fime and we went about 30-40 mph the whole way. Which was about top speed.

we flat towed a couple 5 ton tractors with my XM818. had no problems with tracking or handling. run full speed (55) the whole way 135 miles one way. we used safety chains from the rear of the 818 to the frame rails just behind the front bumper. wired the hooks to prevent them from unhooking. pulled the front drive shaft off the Axel and the rear shaft off the front tandem. did NOT tie steering wheel that sounds dangerous. convoy lights and tow lights made us feel a little better with interstate driving.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks