• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sand in fuel tank 803A

JRM

before filling the tank I decided to pop out the strainer and take a gander, Sand is present in the bottom of the tank even after draining. Should I try to flush it out with diesel in a garden sprayer while tank drain is open or should I just leave it alone?

Last edited:

coxju04

I would flush the tank and lines out. Less junk in the Fuel the better. Also I would change the filters too. and don't forget the oil.

Isaac-1

I too would flush it out, but I would use something that evaporates, gasoline is a traditional, although potentially flammable option, and gasoline residue will not harm diesel, in fact you can run diesel engines with 5-10% gasoline mixed in generally with no serious problems.

JRM

I agree, I don't want to add un needed stress to the pump. It was a blowing sand storm when I picked up the unit so im sure that's who it got in there as they did trainings locally in those environments. Whatever diesel was in this unit was really oily and not the dry "light" ulsd used today. I think I will add some biocide and put it back in minus the sand

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
I would make what I call fire pile diesel.
Use a stick with a rag bound to the end. Place some diesel in the tank. Slosh the unit around and use the rag to brush along the bottom of the tank. Slosh it around and drain it. Again, use the rag to brush the sand and stuff towards the drain. Do it a few times. All the drained diesel sand stuff will help lite off your fire piles.

I would also suggest that fresh local diesel be purchased and put into you unit. At least you then have a starting point with condition and age of fuel.

JRM

Got most of it out, I filled it with a couple gallons of 10% ethanol unleaded and shook it around as much as I could. The most effective way was to suck it out with a syphon hose as the drain valve just didn't flow fast enough. Tank was bare empty I added fresh winterized diesel with 2 oz of 2 stroke oil for pump lubrication. Fresh coolant topped off with new fan belt. Ready to fire it up to warm the oil for its oil change :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks