• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sarafan Truck Part FL and Memphis Equipment.

ida34

I have been trying to get some small parts to complete my winch install. I heard that Sarafan was cheap so I faxed them a copy of my want list. They said they would get back to me. I called again a few weeks later and they said they did not have it. I then faxed it again and they said they would call when they got it. A few hours later I called them and they did say they got it. A week after that I called and was told they needed a few more days on the list. The list was only 20 or so items and I included NSN part number and a highlighted parts diagram for each part. I called again a few days later and was told the parts guy Mike was out of town but they would put a note on his desk. I waited a couple of weeks again and today I called again. I was told that Mike was selling the business and was to busy to quote parts for anyone.
Now thinking back I don't know if that meant they are not taking orders for parts or they would just not provide quotes. If I ever got a quote on the parts I need it would be followed up with a parts order the next day. If they are not quoting but still selling then they want me to order and just pay the invoice no matter what the cost. I just want to make sure something I want to get is not $5000.
I had called Memphis Equipment and last week during one of the Sarafan run arounds. I faxed them a copy of the list. Today I called to check on it was told they did not have it. They said to fax it back and this time the guy gave me a name of John Browning and said to attention it to him. This is more than the last guy did as he said to just put it attention to the parts department. I hope to have better service from them from now on.
When I worked parts I used to give away a bleeder screw or other small stuff to people not getting anything else. Sure it cost a little money but it built up a customer base. Those people came back to get big stuff later and if they didn't they would still tell everyone about the good service. When I switch stores I had people traveling an extra 15 miles to see me for parts at the new store because of the service I gave. How a company treats a potential customer says a lot about the customer service in general. Treat everyone like they are a million dollar client and you will make a million dollars on small sales from all the small people.
If Memphis Equipment does not deliver then I will call Saturn. I just don't know if Saturn has the small parts I need. I am so sick of calling about these parts that I hate to go to Saturn without exhausting all hope with Memphis Equipment.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chuck,
SKIP Memphis. GO TO SATURN.

THEY take that 'extra step' you are talking about. I've had NOTHING but a good experience with Saturn. Parts turn around was phenomenal.

Talk to JAY on the parts counter. YOU won't regret it. I promise.

jim

NO, I don't work for them, but am just a VERY satisfied customer. I've placed three orders through them so far for fairly cheap parts. One set I ordered one morning were on my door step the next afternoon.

I live in Denver and I approved this message.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Saturn is #1 You call, you talk directly to the owner, he knows what he's talking about, you get what you need quickly.
Sounds like an excellent business model. I've adopted the same approach.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If Mark or Jay at Saturn can't help you, try George Kivett at White Owl. I've always had great luck and service with the gang at White Owl.

m35a2cowner

I have had good luck with RAPCO. They don't have a tremendous variety of parts but the things I have ordered have come quickly and been reasonably priced. They have always very pleasant to deal with.

cbvet

MV Parts Suppliers

In my limited experience:
Saturn - good
Memphis Equipment - Very Good
Rapco - really poor communications - not good
Adirondack Dodge Parts - Very Good
Eric

supermechanic

When sarafan was in Spring Valley NY , they had their stuff together.
Jeff Bloom was the parts manager, and he had an inventory inside his head.
No waiting to see if they had parts, he KNEW.
I've heard nothing but bad news since they went to Florida.

red devils dude

thats too bad when I've orderd parts from both Sarafan and Memphis Equipment they have been great but Sarafan
did call me back to ask if I really was ordering the stuff and I'm like no ^$%& I gave you my address faxed you
a copy of the check what else to you want it's not like they where shipping it before they got the check or anything
just boxing it.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm NOT being critical of Sarafan. But from a business stand point, this sounds like a business on the 'edge' of failure.

They are so tight on cash flow that they don't ship anything before they get the money. It sounds like they are 'penny wise and pound foolish'.

Calling a customer before boxing it up to make sure it's a valid order is kind of silly. WAIT for the money, let the check clear AND then box it up. USE the internet to alert your customer when the order was boxed AND shipped.

But again, I am no longer in the business world because I just got tired of working for people that have no true business sense. It's just not worth the effort any more.

JRBAMATEX

Sorry to hear about Sarafan. Guess I got the last of the good out of them. The first time I needed them they were awesome. I think the last time I needed them they were... well, not so much. Guess Mike is getting out of the business. Memphis has been pretty good but I think a shade pricey. However, they WILL have the part. I need to try Saturn next. You guys have always spoken highly of them and I see they are our newest sponsor. Us NASCAR fans love our sponsors.

ida34

I got a response from Memphis Equipment today. Since this is the most progress I have seen in a few weeks I will most likely get my stuff from them. I will try Saturn for some stuff in the future.

WCJIV

Sarafan worth the visit

I took a ride today to Sarafan in Miami to pick up a winch and PTO I ordered. I agree their phone skills leave something to be desired. I almost regretted ordering from them but since they were only an hour away I figured I would save on the shipping. Their warehouse is loaded with all kind of Deuce parts. I picked up a seat back, side engine panels, hub seals, the shock for the drivers seat, mirrors and brackets, radiator hoses, two boxes of 24v bulbs, an extra rim, window regulators and door locks, gas caps, wiper arms and blades, a 100 gallon tank off of a larger truck for my generator, 4 nato style gerry cans and a few other items. Most were NOS. All for $215.00 They threw in a few other small parts. Forget the fax or phone go with cash and see Eddie who has worked there for 30 years and wanders around like the mad professor. They had a complete cab sitting on the shelf for those who have alot of rust. I agree they probably will not be in business the way they operate but if you are in South Florida it is worth the drive. Plenty of new windshields on the shelf and lots of other goodies. Worth the trip.

devilman96

Last time I made that drive they closed early... Got a great view of the parking lots chain link fence :twisted: ...

Saturn and White Owl are tops..

Clark's is SLOWER than death...

SECO's parts are made of gold (or so they think) but I wll give them credit on having the REALLY HARD to find stuff like rubber and so on... you will just pay 4-5 X's more for it.

Memphis... well I WOULD know what it is like to order from them... IF they would return one of the three faxed parts requests :? !!!

Katch1

memphis has treated me in a very good way the two times my wife ordered my parts for me. not cheap, but two day service, and correct parts, can't ask for a whole lot more

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What Sarafan didn't tell you is that the place is sold. Dunno who bought it but I hear they're moving to Melborne FL. That warehouse would be awesome if they had some light. Eddie is a trip but everytime I go there I have to deal with Mike Sarafan. Would rather deal with Eddie. Wonder what they are charging for windshields?

JRBAMATEX

Devilman, I had the same deal at Memphis on the fax and e-mail request for parts. If you don't call em you don't hear from them. Oh well, John on the parts counter has been pretty cool and helpful. He will sell you anything you ask for but is also pretty good with advice. Like if you probably won't need that part when you tear into what ever it is you are tearing into.. he'll tell you. I said yeah OK well send me the part anyway. Turns out he was right. FWIW they do send you a pretty cool calendar and some pencils with your parts order.

ida34

I had the same problem until I talked to John Browning and he hooked me up. The cheap prices of Sarafan don't help if they refuse to take my order. This is exactly what happened. I now have my parts and need to get off my but and install this winch.

67Beast

John at Memphis went out of his way to help me out when I ordered my new front fenders. I had a couple of racers from my shop heading to Memphis for a race and figured I would have them pick my items up to save the frieght charges. Memphis Equip strips and reprimes thier NOS front fenders right before you pick them up or ship them so that they are ready for paint once you get them. Well the primer wasn't dry when my racers showed up to pick them up and John took the time to run them out to them at the race track after work so that my racers didn't have to drive back in to get them.

I've also had great luck with Saturn Surplus. They have been quick to get my orders out when I placed them and everythings always been correct.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks