• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sat behind the wheel of a deuce for the first time.

budman67

I had the chance to sit behind the wheel of a deuce the other
day, the first thing I noticed, I had to lose more weight. but
not only that, I felt crowded behind the wheel,the steering shaft
is so long.

I have read my searches on this, the only answer I have seen
yet,is to change it over to a 5 ton steering wheel. Is there a
way to shorten the shaft??

Attachments

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I feel crowded behind the wheel too. But I expect to be at my size. In addition to putting a 5-ton wheel on the truck you can shorten the shaft as well. It's a lot more work. You can also remove the back cushion of the seat and replace it with something thinner. I have two Deuces and both have springer seats, one I fit great in the other I don't. Go figure.

budman67

Thanks guys,I'll look into the thinner back cushion, and the picture.
I have a 36" waist,but what is above the belt line needs to go. LOL

As to the shaft adjustment, is there something on this forum about that?

budman67

I hear you there,had to drive a few trucks that had car size steering wheels,
even with the power steering,there is more effort. I didn't want to go in that
direction. I like the biggest functional wheel I can get.

Big Z

I don't feel like going outside and checking first person...but at this angle, wouldn't shortening the shaft move you from belly- to leg-interference if a wheel-change wasn't done in conjunction? Or raising the column beforehand..

294538_10150262895041430_2025415_n.jpg

Dipstick

Well, I had power steering installed on mine. It uses a steering wheel two inches in diameter smaller than stock. Steering at low speeds is a breeze and it sure makes the Deuce's cramped cab easier to live with.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jatonka does the shortened steering shafts. That coupled with the thinner seatback and mybe shaving an inch off the top of the seat bottom cushion will go a long way. Pedals are also adjustable if you bang your knee on your chin.

budman67

Well, I had power steering installed on mine. It uses a steering wheel two inches in diameter smaller than stock. Steering at low speeds is a breeze and it sure makes the Deuce's cramped cab easier to live with.
Is that similar to the air assist unit,or am I thinking of the wrong part??

Dipstick

Not similar at all to the air assist. It's a full blown hydraulic power steering system. Waterloo Specialties sells them.MVC-001Sb.JPG
The hydraulic pump is directly driven from the gear cover on the front of the engine below the air compressor. A hydraulic reservoir is mounted on the firewall. It takes a bit of getting used too. At speeds over 30 mph it seems to wander a bit. I don't think it's the steering gear. I think it's the blocky tread and stiff shoulders on my tires. Check out the Waterloo Specialties website. Hope this helps.

welldigger

Not similar at all to the air assist. It's a full blown hydraulic power steering system. Waterloo Specialties sells them.View attachment 395433
The hydraulic pump is directly driven from the gear cover on the front of the engine below the air compressor. A hydraulic reservoir is mounted on the firewall. It takes a bit of getting used too. At speeds over 30 mph it seems to wander a bit. I don't think it's the steering gear. I think it's the blocky tread and stiff shoulders on my tires. Check out the Waterloo Specialties website. Hope this helps.
How do you like that power steering system? I am strongly considering it when I get some super singles for my truck. I'm putting 395's on her so I don't imagine steering getting easier. How difficult is the installation? Or a better way to ask might be approximately how long did it take to install?

RobRiot

Is the 5 ton wheel the only other wheel that can be mounted. i know haveing a big wheel for a truck this size would be beneficial, but is there a way to maybe mount some sort of aftermarket wheel to it?

Dipstick

Welldigger,
I didn't do it myself. I had it done by the guy who bobbed my '84 AMGeneral. I will try to include a few pictures of the work being done that he sent me. That way you can see what it involves. I'm glad I had it installed. Roads are often twisty in N.J. It would be a lot of work driving without it and I'm almost sixty years old. I'm not good at attaching pictures yet, so I hope this works.
Owen "Dipstick" McCaffreyMVC-014S.JPGMVC-016S.JPGMVC-018S.JPG

welldigger

Dipstick, I found a thread last night detailing the install of that kit. Already forgot what it was called. Anyways it was very informative. I'm glad you like the setup. I plan on 395 super singles along with lockout hubs on the front with an air locker in the front diff. I already do a bit of off roading but the 9.00-20 ndt's my truck has leave a lot to be desired. Between the larger tires and diff lock I imagine steering is going to be a whole lot more fun for me without some help. And nice looking bobber you have there :driver:
Me and another member here are currently in the process of bobbing his A3. That build thread will be posted as soon as I start gathering and organizing the pictures we have.

Dipstick

Dipstick, I found a thread last night detailing the install of that kit. Already forgot what it was called. Anyways it was very informative. I'm glad you like the setup. I plan on 395 super singles along with lockout hubs on the front with an air locker in the front diff. I already do a bit of off roading but the 9.00-20 ndt's my truck has leave a lot to be desired. Between the larger tires and diff lock I imagine steering is going to be a whole lot more fun for me without some help. And nice looking bobber you have there :driver:
Me and another member here are currently in the process of bobbing his A3. That build thread will be posted as soon as I start gathering and organizing the pictures we have.
I think you would like the power steering. I'm looking forward to your thread on the A3 build. I'm currently awaiting front lockout hubs myself. I've had them backordered with Overson for two months now. I'm getting them for less rolling resistance on dry/paved roads. My Fstones are radials by the way.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks