• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

School Me on Hemtt Wheels

drpete12

Hello Everyone,

Now before I get jumped on about the "search" feature. I want to let you know I have read most postings on the wheels.

Here are my questions. Why are these the most popular of wheel upgrades? They appear to be quite heavy. Am I really going to split one apart in the field to mount a new tire (purpose of 2 piece rim?) versus just having an extra mounted tire.

I like the looks of them (it appears that for back tires the hubs can be reversed etc..) I dont understand this, does anyone have photos of them mounted normally and then with reversed hubs?

Are there only one "kind" of 2 piece hemtt rim. I see them in different places from 180 bucks all the way up to 300. Large discrepency if they are all the same.

Any info that can be provided to help clear up this jumble for me would greatly be appreciated. Photos would help as well.

Thanks in advance,

Peter

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why are you considering them? Do you have a truck, what is it? Do you want to install larger tires?

Why are you asking?

drpete12

We should get along great. I am also known to answer a question with a question :)

I just got an M818. I am planning on putting 53 xzl's on it. From all the reading I do, this seems to be on most peoples wish list, yet I dont understand its advantages. If I am going to go thru getting the tires and mounting etc, then I would prefer to do it once and if it is worthwhile to add these rims the same time then I will, but I want to justify the time/effort/expense of doing so.

Thanks for asking, it probably would have helped if I mentioned these things.

Peter

Reactions: HN6

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What other rims are you considering using?

ranchhopper

They also have a two piece combat style wheel that will work not as heavy and with more back spacing most guys like the lesser backspace on HEMTT rims they make the tires and wheels stick further out of the wheel well.

drpete12

Doghead:

Not really aware of other rim choices besides what is on the truck now. If there are others (not counting custom) than please let me know.

Ranchhopper:

I am going to google those now and see what they look like. Can someone kinda do a rundown of the options and their benefits/disadvantages. This would not only help me but would prove worth while for other newbies as well.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Peter

ranchhopper

I have the combat style wheels on this truck in the first picture you can see the center plate is recessed no flat as the center of a HEMTT wheel is.I put HEMTT wheels on the truck the in the second picture besides I pay way less for the wheels on the first truck than the HEMTT wheels.

Attachments

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Pete,
First off congrats on the M818. Are you going to leave it as a tractor or are you looking at putting a bed from a deuce and a half on it? If you leave it as a tractor do you have a CDL?

As far as your initial questions I would not worry about not posting what kind of truck you were dealing with. A 5 ton is a 5 ton. You asked a couple of general questions that were not 5 ton specific. I have been looking in to the HEMTT rims for use on a Dodge semi truck. I like the 2 piece design because I can remove a tire from the rim myself in order to use a patch on the inside. Plus I like the look of the deep dish out on the rear and that you don't need to flip the hubs either (can't flip hubs on a commercial semi truck axle anyhow). As far as pics of trucks with the rims mounted on normal hubs just look for pics of 5 tons with super singles. The military has been using 2 piece rims on 5 tons for years without flipping the hubs in the rear.

Anyhow, back to your M818. Do you have it yet and if so is it up and running? The reason I ask is the antique truck club I am with is having their next meeting/show this Saturday (the 12th) in Bradenton, just a few miles east of the Desoto Raceway. Would love to see some military iron make the show. I will be there with my antique semi truck and trailer. If you want to come out (with or without your truck) let me know and I will PM you the details of where it's at.

Ruppster

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
Doghead:

Not really aware of other rim choices besides what is on the truck now. If there are others (not counting custom) than please let me know.

Ranchhopper:

I am going to google those now and see what they look like. Can someone kinda do a rundown of the options and their benefits/disadvantages. This would not only help me but would prove worth while for other newbies as well.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Peter
I think people like these because they were cheap and very avaliable at one time. You can pick these up for 100 bucks a wheel if you look around. They are easy to use and probably the best game in towm when looking for a wheel to mount larger tires on. You will not kill yourself with these like you could with a split rim. With modifications they fit on deuces and with no modifications fit on the 800 series trucks. Look at the album of the member Powerhousedeuce and he has a 818 with 1600's on the Hemtt rims.
That is my 2 cents...

cmayer85

Hemtt wheels weigh about 170 pounds each but have less backspace. They do not rub with 53" wheels. Combat wheels are lighter but i have heard they sometimes rub do to more back spacing, someone correct me if i am wrong. I prefer the hemtt wheels, i like the look and how stout they are

drpete12

Thanks guys, starting to make more sense, I like the idea of going tubeless and the hemtt should avoid any front tire rubs when turning to either extreme. Like the look of them as well.

Ruppster:

Just won it tonite..wont have it for a while. Would love to make it out but wife has honey do list for me that day already. But pm me and we can trade contact info and try to meet up at the next club function. Also going to get rid of 5th wheel and put duece bed on. No cdl

dozer1

Hemtt wheels weigh about 170 pounds each but have less backspace. They do not rub with 53" wheels. Combat wheels are lighter but i have heard they sometimes rub do to more back spacing, someone correct me if i am wrong. I prefer the hemtt wheels, i like the look and how stout they are
somebody please tell me that I will not have troubles with this on my M817 when the 16.00s are mounted on the combat wheels that the truck came with..

dozer1

Didnt mean to hijack the thread, But I sure would like to know if there is issues with the 53" tires on combat wheels. Does anybody run this combination on there 5 ton? Do you ever have rubbing problems?

treessw

Ok, I have a question- Hopefully someone can help with this one. I have yet to find the answer in the search function. With the combat style wheels, I understand they will swap directly over to the 800 series, my question is what lug nuts (if any) need to be used or can I just use the original lugs off of my OE NDT's? Is it a good idea to have back up stems etc? What parts are need to make these baby's work and have parts to spare just in case. Also is there a need to change out to a longer lug stud?

Thank you in advance!!!! Sorry if this has already been covered

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
It is better to swap out to longer studs. Some guys machine the bevel off the back of the bud nut to use as an extension, and to make sure the back of the wheel touches the drum surface. If you don't do that the wheel studs will crack.

KsM715

Treessw, Which wheels are you talking about? 5ton combat wheels will work with out any mods. If your going with the HEMMT wheels then you should use longer studs on the fronts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks