• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Scored used Gear Vendors O/D unit

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, I've searched the threads for Gear Vendors info and came up with a few smatterings but none specifically regarding GV units to fit our app, that being CUCV's. My particular application is an M1008.

Since I didn't want to sacrifice 4:56 gearing but sure as heck wanted better road RPM's, I decided to search for a used one and if the price is right... Well, there it was on eBay for sale by a local... its an early J-type and it's mine now. Unknown condition but will soon have it to GV's place in El Cajon for a check up. (slight cringe)

As per my research I've learned (and anyone may correct me if I'm wrong) all GV units are the same with the exception of the adapters to fit different transmission/transfer cases. The unit I scored has a 205 adapter which I'll need to either swap for a 208 adapter or actually replace my 208 t-case with a 205. Just doing some preliminary search for costs, it appears it will cost me roughly the same amount to do either.

Only thing I wonder about at this point; is there any advantage to the 205 over the 208? Easy swap or...?? All comments welcome and thanks in advance

tamecrow

Is that the one from Victorville, CA? I was looking at that one myself. I contacted Gear Vendors as to what I'd need to put it in my M1008. They never replied, so I didn't bid. Good deal if it doesn't need much. Let us know how it works out. I gotta do something about the gear ratio on mine as well.

Last edited:

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is that the one from Victorville, CA? I was looking at that one myself. I contacted Gear Vendors as to what I'd need to put it in my M1008. They never replied, so I didn't bid. Good deal if it doesn't need much. Let us know how it works out.
Yup--- that's the one! Didn't have time to get an up close look at it but I figure even if its shot, somewhere else I saw a post where GV will swap old for the newer P-series and I believe I'd still be ahead, money-wise, compared to buying a unit brand new... that's the plan anyway and will post my results.

tamecrow

Yup--- that's the one! Didn't have time to get an up close look at it but I figure even if its shot, somewhere else I saw a post where GV will swap old for the newer P-series and I believe I'd still be ahead, money-wise, compared to buying a unit brand new... that's the plan anyway and will post my results.
The only thing that made me nervous was that every time I ever contacted Gear Vendors regarding a new unit, they got back to me right away. When I inquired about purchasing parts from them to make the used unit fit my truck, they still haven't replied. You have the advantage of taking it there in person to have them look at it so it's a much better deal for you. Hope it works out good for you. I'm anxious to hear the results, as I gotta do something myself. I'm leaning towards changing gears at this point, but who knows.

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only thing that made me nervous was that every time I ever contacted Gear Vendors regarding a new unit, they got back to me right away. When I inquired about purchasing parts from them to make the used unit fit my truck, they still haven't replied. You have the advantage of taking it there in person to have them look at it so it's a much better deal for you. Hope it works out good for you. I'm anxious to hear the results, as I gotta do something myself. I'm leaning towards changing gears at this point, but who knows.
Yea, it's my $1K crap-shoot really. But I really wasn't up for doing gear change and the expense because I would really want to rebuild the whole axle and not just swap gears. That alone could run $2K just in parts. And then there's your labor and for me, the nagging question remains; will the gear change be enough to lower RPM's satisfactorily? Kind of a crap-shoot as well.

Also, there was another post on another forum (I'd have to find it again) where a guy in like Houston does older J-type rebuilds, but I can't confirm this at this time.

Rockcrusher

i have ran across a aux gear box but you will have to slide transfer case back it has a under drive a direct drive an a overdrive was in older gmc its called a 5831 spicer or brownie box

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was all set to bite on a Gear Vendors for my M1031 until I spoke with some knowledgeable guys at a local 4WD shop. They advised the GV was not all it's cracked up to be. They said go with a 4L80e. Initially I was concerned about the electronics until I heard about the Transgo manual shift conversion. So that is my plan.

cjotto

The gv units are pretty good they do the job they are designed for. A 205 is a much stronger case than the 208 it is cast iron and gear driven (no chain) but it is heavier as stated. it does eliminate the planetary gears that are the weak link in the 208. you can usually find a decent 205 for $150-$350 dollars. the low range really isnt much of an issue with an automatic because of the converter. crawl ratio can be much high (numerically lower) with an auto as opposed to a manual. i like the 205 for cheapness and reliability. had two 208s crap out cause of planetary gears.

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i have ran across a aux gear box but you will have to slide transfer case back it has a under drive a direct drive an a overdrive was in older gmc its called a 5831 spicer or brownie box
Wow, a Brownie! I'm thikin' those gotta' be rare as hen's teeth, eh?

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was all set to bite on a Gear Vendors for my M1031 until I spoke with some knowledgeable guys at a local 4WD shop. They advised the GV was not all it's cracked up to be. They said go with a 4L80e. Initially I was concerned about the electronics until I heard about the Transgo manual shift conversion. So that is my plan.
Well, as it is, my final output will have me in the 3.56 gearing catagory with the GV installed and that's pretty good numbers for the small amount of work involved. However, I was also leaning toward the 4L80 but when considering the amount of work plus a few unknowns, I figured the GV was (if I could score none cheap) the easiest way to go for now. But if I were to win the Lottery next week, I'd opt for a mid '90's 6.5 turbo with 4L80 attached, including computer and still use the GV which I believe would yield and even higher final output, very desirable.

Sure would like to hear about how your 4L80 plans go, keep us posted.

bugei

ndt,

your post is probably the first time i have ever seen a negative post about the gear vendor od. almost every open class truck in off road racing is running one, and they dont even get nervous until something over 1000 hp.

sometimes they can be a bit hard to get a hold of, i usually end up calling them instead of emailing, but otherwise, except for some of the parts being a bit spendy, i have no complaints.

i have almost 200K on my gear vendor, and it has been flawless. it sits behind a 557 stroker (460) and an e4od. in an f350 4X4 crew cab dually. and i regularly haul a 4 horse trailer and other stuff.

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The gv units are pretty good they do the job they are designed for. A 205 is a much stronger case than the 208 it is cast iron and gear driven (no chain) but it is heavier as stated. it does eliminate the planetary gears that are the weak link in the 208. you can usually find a decent 205 for $150-$350 dollars. the low range really isnt much of an issue with an automatic because of the converter. crawl ratio can be much high (numerically lower) with an auto as opposed to a manual. i like the 205 for cheapness and reliability. had two 208s crap out cause of planetary gears.
Thanks for that bit of info, I prolly will go with a 205 eventually as this GV already has the adapter. But then can't you get a 205's 1st re-geared as well if you're looking for lower creep?

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ndt,

your post is probably the first time i have ever seen a negative post about the gear vendor od. almost every open class truck in off road racing is running one, and they dont even get nervous until something over 1000 hp.

sometimes they can be a bit hard to get a hold of, i usually end up calling them instead of emailing, but otherwise, except for some of the parts being a bit spendy, i have no complaints.

i have almost 200K on my gear vendor, and it has been flawless. it sits behind a 557 stroker (460) and an e4od. in an f350 4X4 crew cab dually. and i regularly haul a 4 horse trailer and other stuff.
YEA! Luv to hear those Tales of The Golden Gear Vendor! Lots of people swear by them and I mean for years, thats all I've ever heard is positive. There was someone though on K5 forum who didn't care for the GV behind a Saginaw manual trans. Claimed it didn't give you a decent spit--- rpm-wise- and shifting was kind of funky. But in my opinion, even though GV's can be mated to manuals, the beauty of this thing is most appreciated in autos and for long distance travel/towing,etc., which is my purpose. Having camper attached to truck, attached to smallish trailer, loaded with fishing gear, rolling on open road in wilderness NW, is my idea of retirement living... only don't tell my wife! ;)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks