• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Scrapping ALERT: Somebody Save This Rare Truck

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
From out of the blue, the guy in Trent, TX who I met nearly 3 years ago called me reference this truck. He delayed scrapping it for quite awhile to hopefully find someone to save it but now he says the time is coming very soon to sell it or scrap it.

I have no connection, get no compensation in the deal. I merely would like to see it saved.

You can PM me for his phone number. Truck is in an open field along I-10 in Trent, TX. Here's the thread that my original post generated but now it has come down to save this truck from scrapping. I think he is pretty flexible on price and didn't find out yesterday what he was asking.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...ruck)-Maintenance-Truck&highlight=maintenance

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting that he now wants to scrap it. He wanted $5K. Scrap prices are $75-$85/ton. That will bring him less than $300.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, my wife checks prices for me everyday on the ever changing sign up the street. $95/ton this week.

I could almost afford to save it...almost.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The box is "dirty aluminum" which is not worth much either. I looked into buying it a while back but man it is in the middle of nowhere.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would love to have it but that's a thousand mile tow for me, it would be nice to have two of them! And I know people give the engine a hard time but I have five of them and they are not race cars but they always get you where you are going and its like riding in a parade all the time, everyone waves! It has a welder/7.5kw generator in the box.PICT1970 (2).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rumplecat - It seems like you have a substantial amount of experience with these trucks. Call the owner. You have nothing to lose. The 2,000 mile round trip might be well worth your time and money.

Duce

Do you know if he still has it or has scraped it already? 940miles but wouldn't be the first 715 I have picked up in TX If the price Is right I will add I to the green Iron the wife will be less than happy.

Guyfang

Staff member
Sadly, I am 7-8 thousand miles, at least, away. I would love to get this thing and park it in the garden. I have driven to the moon and back in such a truck. I sure hope someone saves this truck.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
This keeps popping up every now and then. I received a call from the owner out of the blue about a month or so ago. I didn't even know I'd given him my number. Here is where he is located. His shop is on left side of 1085 and the truck is in field on right where it says Adobe Storage.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...2!3m1!1s0x86560fd8aabf370f:0xd9e18e9d92f7b75b

Tell him CARNAC sent you.

Here is the number purposely misspelled:

thre-to-five

for-tree-niner

oh-nine-sev and another sev

His name is Brian.

Other than this, I have no regular contact with him, I don't know him other than just stopping there out of the blue. It is very rare that I ever pass by this location on I-20. So asking me if I know if he still has it.....I give you the POTUSalute.

Attachments

Last edited:

saddamsnightmare

March 24th, 2016.

Underpowered compared to what, an M37? We forget that most working pickups back then weren't generally built with V-8's or for speed, but for hauling, so the stock M715 was in no ways underpowered. We are used to overpowered toy pickups today, but few of them are beat to within an inch of their life in hauling, as their bed bottoms and fenders rarely show serious punishment from what I can see. However, if you want a working Jeep, Import a KIA Military M425, I think that you will have little cause for complaint in that 2016 descendent of an M715 series truck, and it has a diesel, stock!:whistle:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
March 24th, 2016.

Underpowered compared to what, an M37? We forget that most working pickups back then weren't generally built with V-8's or for speed, but for hauling, so the stock M715 was in no ways underpowered. We are used to overpowered toy pickups today, but few of them are beat to within an inch of their life in hauling, as their bed bottoms and fenders rarely show serious punishment from what I can see. However, if you want a working Jeep, Import a KIA Military M425, I think that you will have little cause for complaint in that 2016 descendent of an M715 series truck, and it has a diesel, stock!:whistle:
Ford was pushing out 390 V-8's back in the 60's in the F-series.

saddamsnightmare

March 27th, 2016.

Yes, and 239's in the 1930's, 1940's and 1950's. But you would be amazed how many working trucks made do with a 6 cylinder, or before the mid-1930's, with a 4. Most farmers and contractors did not normally pay the extra $$$ for a V-8 in a truck that was going to be going 45 MPH or less (remember, before the interstates, 45 was usually the maximum road speed, at least in the east).

I had a 1951 Ford F-6 Dump with a 239 V-8, and empty, on a 9% ascending grade, 22 MPH was about it. Coming down could have been a little bit faster, but my average speed was about 12 to 22 MPH, as with drum brakes, little assist on the hydraulics, and the Ohio River waiting at the bottom of the hill, there were positive incentives not to lose the truck. Many tractor trailer drivers fed their trucks to the fishes on that hill, or at least at the bottom end of it! Yet I saw several running sisters with a Ford I-6 in them that were every bit as heavy as my F-6 and equipped with a dump bed also. Incidentally, my F-6 is running somewhere down around Camden, SC.

Most surviving PU's from that period, tended to be very conservative on the powerplants and transmissions, if they were working trucks, what was wanted was working longevity, and many of those trucks went thirty- forty years or more. This concept is reflected in the M37 and 715 trucks that the military owned, and even in the M35 series. Who today would equip an off road truck that weights close to 7 tons empty and 12 tons loaded with a 140 HP NA Diesel (not turboed)?[thumbzup]

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks