• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Seafoam Trans Tune

twisted60

Just curious, has anyone used SeaFoam Trans Tune in the HMMWV transmission ?

I am still waiting to pick my HMMWV up and as I'm new to HMMWV's I'd rather ask than make a big mistake. I see lots of videos of SeaFoam in Fuel, Engine and Transmissions but not in a HMMWV, so has anyone tried it and if so what are your feelings of if it worked, helped or hurt.

Just curious, has anyone used SeaFoam Trans Tune in the HMMWV transmission ?

I am still waiting to pick my HMMWV up and as I'm new to HMMWV's I'd rather ask than make a big mistake. I see lots of videos of SeaFoam in Fuel, Engine and Transmissions but not in a HMMWV, so has anyone tried it and if so what are your feelings of if it worked, helped or hurt.
I use bestline in my hmmwv. I use the fuel, oil and transmission additive. But that was after the fluid service.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

twisted60

This is what I was hoping for, stir up the brain trust to get more information, exactly what I was hoping for. Only additives I have put in the engine of my 5 ton is for fuel (Kleen Diesel).

Sintorion do you use any additives ? Maybe a different brand ? Looking for info to make the best choice.

Thanks

Sintorion

This is what I was hoping for, stir up the brain trust to get more information, exactly what I was hoping for. Only additives I have put in the engine of my 5 ton is for fuel (Kleen Diesel).

Sintorion do you use any additives ? Maybe a different brand ? Looking for info to make the best choice.

Thanks
For auto transmissions, I use nothing and just follow regular maintenance. Much in the same way you hear hype about seafoam being the greatest thing since sliced bread, you also hear stories of the negative effects of it cleaning crud that keeps parts lubricated and together. I have a hard time doing things that I really can't measure the success. There just doesn't seem to be any real data one way or the other if additives help or hurt so I keep the dollars in my pocket.

About the only cure in a bottle that I do use is sta-bil because it sits in my overly humid garage for weeks at a time. Even with that, I don't know if I am gaining and do so for peace of mind.

ryanruck

I've used SeaFoam to clean out fuel systems, intakes, and crankcases but only a few times because with proper maintenance you shouldn't need it very often. It only works at cleaning because it's basically 2 solvents, naptha and isopropyl alcohol (blended with a couple other additives), that will dissolve some gummed fuel residues and carbon buildups. If you don't think it works, go grab any greasy/carbonized part you've got and rinse it with naptha and/or isopropyl (91%).

In an engine that is heavily fouled due to neglect (like it's been 50k since the last oil change! :mrgreen:), you're not going to get a cure in a bottle. Using it in the crankcase on something like that and you're likely to break stuff free that will possibly clog oil passages. Using it in the top end of an engine in that situation is a bit safer since it will blow the carbon out of the exhaust system but, if it's at that point, it's better to just give the engine a light rebuild and clean all the parts outside of the engine. That will also give you the opportunity to find other problems that may have arisen due to the neglect.

If its an engine that's been taken care of reasonably well and you're just looking for something to help refresh/maintain it, it's perfectly good for that.

I'm not a big fan of adding anything to automatic transmissions, however because of the intricate seals and friction surfaces. If a transmission is to the point it needs an additive to work properly, it probably needs rebuilt. Otherwise, just drop the pan, clean it, replace the filter, and fill it up with fresh ATF.

For auto transmissions, I use nothing and just follow regular maintenance. Much in the same way you hear hype about seafoam being the greatest thing since sliced bread, you also hear stories of the negative effects of it cleaning crud that keeps parts lubricated and together. I have a hard time doing things that I really can't measure the success. There just doesn't seem to be any real data one way or the other if additives help or hurt so I keep the dollars in my pocket.

About the only cure in a bottle that I do use is sta-bil because it sits in my overly humid garage for weeks at a time. Even with that, I don't know if I am gaining and do so for peace of mind.
If it's only several weeks your gasoline is sitting, you're good without treating it even in a regular vented gas can. I've used gasoline that has sat upwards of 6 months in a similar environment with no issues.

If you do want to treat it for short term storage, like up to a year, Sta-Bil is good. For storage longer than that, PRI-G is the solution (they also make PRI-D for diesel!).

One of the biggest factors in storing gasoline is what it's stored in. Don't keep it in one of those vented fuel cans if you want it to last. It lets pressure out but moisture in. Use a good quality, sealing fuel can like a NATO 5 gallon steel jerry can or one of the 5 gallon Scepter military cans that doesn't vent.

And if you get ethanol free gasoline it will store longer without treatment since there will be no alcohol to attract moisture.

jackson76550

Ive overhauled quite a few transmissions that have had some form of "fix it in a can" poured in them. The seals get really soft, which may help some transmissions go a few more miles... but it would be a terrible thing to do to a good trans. Road test it.... if it works good and you feel like you need to do something just perform a fluid and filter change. Personally if the fluid looks good and it works good.... i just drive em!

twisted60

Great info, thanks guys, I will plan on just changing the filter and ATF in transmission, once I drain out the old ATF I will have a close look at it for any signs of burning and general crud. Engine oil and filter are a given, change to have a base line for future change periods, Cooling system, drain and service. My HMMWV went thru the Maine rebuild site in '04 and only shows 13,877 on odometer (I know that is not reliable) but hope they put a new speedo in at overhaul and that is mileage after overhaul. It was recommended to put a can of Bio Kleen in the fuel tank as she has been sitting out side in Florida for an extended time (exact time unknown) former Florida National Guard truck. I plan to put the bio kleen in when I put her on the trailer, almost 300 miles later she will be home and the bio kleen will have had 300 mile of riding on the trailer to slosh around inside the tank.

Now for the EUC to clear, it's been 32 days since submission but who's counting, it's my first EUC so figure I have another 30-45 more days to wait. Does that sound about right ?

She will look good next to her big brother, IMG_3092.jpgM998 1.jpg

papakb

About the only additive I believe in is Red Line's Water Wetter in the cooling system. Everything else gets properly repaired. I had a bad experience with additives in my M37 years back and it taught me a lesson never to use them.

Kurt

Skrilex

Banned
I’m also of the opinion that less is more but that said, I’ve had several experiences recently with “gimmicks in a bottle”and some are not gimmicks at all. In fact on some newer diesels fuel and oil additives are almost considered mandatory. I’ll use diesel kleen summer blend in all my diesels to lubricate the fuel and I’m still undecided on the archoil oil additives.
Will a humvee benefit from these? Maybe. Maybe not. The Detroit’s are a lot older technology which is probably a lot less demanding on the various fluids they use.

HETvet

I personally don’t buy in to viper semen or snake oil. In modern Diesel engines that are mandated to run ULSD, I run power service diesel clean. In these military trucks that were required to run on JP8 for their life’s, it would be an absolute treat to run DF2 with some power service. Water wetter is amazing stuff. Anything else, unless required by the manufacturer, is worthless and a waste of money, with sea foam at the top of that pile

HETvet

Gel your fuel, put a bottle of power service 911 in the take and put some in the fuel filter. Wait about 20 mins and report back your findings. Run the recommended diluted amount of diesel clean and report back your fuel mileage difference pre and post use. Coolant wise, I prefer Evans waterless coolant, personally.

Power service is the viper semen who has my money! Lol

teteacher101

I to am not a big fan and really not sold on additives with the exception of a couple from "old timers" and my own experience. I've never had anything that was running poorly or was burning oil that I dumped XYZ additive in (I think I've tried them all) an felt like it did anything except drain my wallett. Preventive maintenance is #1, if you buy something that has sat for a while people will put fresh fuel in it and XYZ product an think that the product makes it run better-is it the fresh fuel or the product though-I know which one I feel it is.

With that being said I have had good luck an unofficial scientific results with the following.

Power Service in diesel and just plain ATF as a lubricant additive in diesel as well.

Antifoam/cavitation additives for coolant in diesel engines.

Lucas in power steering systems to help slow down a leaky seal.

TransX in automatic trannys which is essentially a seal swell additive. I typically only use this when a vehicle has been severely neglected on tranny services an the ATF looks like used diesel oil so it also gets a fluid an filter change as well. The improvement in shift feel obviously comes from the new filter an fluid but I feel its not a bad idea to put something in to help the seals soften back up a little bit. "Old timers" used a 1/2 cup of brake fluid for this. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks