• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Seeking confirmation of brake issue diagnosis

Thunder in NWOR

Greetings.
Ihave spent many hours reading manuals, using the forum search, and timewrenching on my truck.
Ithink I have the correct diagnosis, but am asking for confirmation, or somealternative to pursue.

Ihave an M35A3 and have put over 10,000 miles on it in the past 3 years.
I hadit parked for 2 months and when I drove it again, the brake pedal was very soft(never happened before) but will pump up quickly with each pump, then several minuteslater, be soft again.

Istarted by checking fluid levels, then following manual procedure for bleedingthe system. No change.
Note:system pressure while bleeding the front brakes appeared less than on the backbrakes.

Itraced the lines and found no apparent fluid or air leaks.
Cylindersand pads appear to be OK.

I didnote during pumping the brakes, that the air pressure gage seemed to indicate asmall air pressure reduction that I do not remember happening prior to myproblem.

I checked the air vent line (comes up behind thecab on my –A3) and noted that on the down pressure of the pedal, there is asmall amount of air being expelled, and upon release of the pedal, a largeamount of air expelled.

Myquestions
1. Isthis venting “normal” (I previously paid little attention)?? Or is my air-hydraulic cylinder leaking?
2. Ifleaking, what is the easiest way to determine which one (-A3 has two)?
3. Isrebuild an option, or do I need to buy replacement(s)?

Thanksfor your assistance.
Mark
(allmy previous experiences have been with my WW2 Dodges!!)

Last edited:

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like it needs a brake adjustment . Have you ever serviced the bearings and seals ? With 10,000 miles on the MV , now would be the time .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks