• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Serpentine belt for 1165-A1?

Gear Report

Howdy folks!
Do you know which serpentine belt is used on the 1165A1 with 6.5L turbo and 400A generator? I've dug through every TM I can find and can't find a definitive answer for trucks with a serial number over 300,000 (mine is 313,7xx). I found an older TM that specifies a belt for trucks after 196k-ish, but then they changed to the geared fan drive for trucks after 300k. I suspect it might be a different belt, but don't know. The routing is definitely different, with the REV B trucks having an additional idler pulley (Idler pulley #1 in the right diagram of the attached pic.
Fullscreen capture 712020 60006 PM-001.jpg

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are 2 belts, and it depends on if you have clutch or non-clutch pulley on the 400amp.
if it’s the clutch pulley, it’s the standard belt 300k and above....not sure what it is for solid pulley, but the belt is about 1-1.5in longer.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And it makes no difference on SN for the serp setup, you have either old style serp that uses a plate, or the late style
that is all mounted on cast iron brackets. The late Style is on many many M1123’s and M1097A2’s, but many of the early
series use the old style. The geared fan drive REV trucks will always have the late style.

Gear Report

Thanks, Steven!
Can you tell from this pic which one it is? Fullscreen capture 6272020 113329 AM.jpg
And can you share both part numbers and where I should have looked to find them? I'd like to document them for when others ask.

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And it makes no difference on SN for the serp setup, you have either old style serp that uses a plate, or the late style
that is all mounted on cast iron brackets. The late Style is on many many M1123’s and M1097A2’s, but many of the early
series use the old style. The geared fan drive REV trucks will always have the late style.
Found this out the hard way when ordering a belt using my SN of 188k. The belt was too short and luckily I was able to return it for the longer version (SN > 196901). Thought my vehicle had been modified at some point but not so sure now.
- HoveringHMMWV

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found this out the hard way when ordering a belt using my SN of 188k. The belt was too short and luckily I was able to return it for the longer version (SN > 196901). Thought my vehicle had been modified at some point but not so sure now.
- HoveringHMMWV
many m1123’s were reset, they could have gotton whatever serp setup they put in between the 2.
early or late style regardless of SN range. But for the most part, 99-2000 you will see the early.
ive even seen early early ECV M1113 with old style.

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M1097A2, in the 188k SN range, has a GEP installed. Could that have made a difference? Or is it more like firearm production where receivers may or may not match barrel dates?
-HoveringHMMWV

Mike1966

Working on a 2009 AM General Humvee ECV M1165A1 Serial # <310,000. I've been looking at this post and saw the diagram but can not find any additional info on the remove/install new SERPENTINE BELT Geared Fan Drive procedure. I'm pretty sure I have the right belt - thanks to this thread, but I'm curious as to the crankshaft to geared fan drive feature. I would figure that per design they would enable a field guy to change out the belt by removing the allen screws going into the crankshaft drive pulley, and remove spacer, with the drive gear sliding towards the fan drive, giving you enough room to slide in the new belt, slide very thing back, and tighten. I have not started beating on it yet as I'm sure someone here has changed a serpentine belt one of these beasts. :)

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Working on a 2009 AM General Humvee ECV M1165A1 Serial # <310,000. I've been looking at this post and saw the diagram but can not find any additional info on the remove/install new SERPENTINE BELT Geared Fan Drive procedure. I'm pretty sure I have the right belt - thanks to this thread, but I'm curious as to the crankshaft to geared fan drive feature. I would figure that per design they would enable a field guy to change out the belt by removing the allen screws going into the crankshaft drive pulley, and remove spacer, with the drive gear sliding towards the fan drive, giving you enough room to slide in the new belt, slide very thing back, and tighten. I have not started beating on it yet as I'm sure someone here has changed a serpentine belt one of these beasts. :)
According to the manual, before you are supposed to have the geared fan driveshaft removed to do the belt replacement.
300k up serp belt replacement.jpg

Looks like 14 bolts and 4 grease fittings need removed to pull the shaft out. I don't personally know if there is a way to do it with just some of the bolts removed, but if there is enough room to slde the shaft out of the way without removing all of them, you'll likely figure that out during the removal.
1695707049774.png

Godspeed131

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, to just add another option out there is Dayco 5081125. It crosses over from the 3030-01-488-5606 NSN, for the 196901 and above S/N’s. I used it for my 1152a1 and its worked great so far.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks