• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sesrchlight/MEP026C?

BillIdaho

I fell into a searchlight and a MEP026C generator. Both are complete. I want to run the searchlight off of the gen set. I have seen photos of the two on a M762 trailer (GI photo). I have been told that the gen won't start the light, because it doesn't have enough to get the light going, but enough to run it after it somehow gets going ( that doesn't make much sense). Can I hook up an extra set a batteries, which would double the amps, and get by? The gen set is rated at 105 amps I think, and with the extra amps provided by the spare batteries, I should be within the rated power needed.
I have a 105 trailer, both would fit just right, with enough useable space for an extra set of batteries. Do I have any other options? BTW, I do have the 180 amp generator for the MUTT, with the fan-driven blower, etc.
Problem is, I don't want the setup on the MUTT, I want it self-contained on its own trailer.
THANKS FOR ANY AND ALL HELP!

BillIdaho

Ok, I have the MEP-026 mounted on my M103 trailer, along with the searchlight. I mounted two battery boxes out of a duece, for a total of four batteries. ( I have not decided actually which batteries to use, I will probably use civilian ones) Anyway, I am ready to start wiring the thing together.
Question: I hook TWO of the batteries in series for 24 volts. The ground from one of those two goes to the trailer frame. (that's the easy part) The postive goes to the positive on the gen-set, as does the positive from the light. The negative on the gen-set goes to ground as well. The negative from the light goes to the frame, for ground. That part seems pretty basic. Now, here is the part that's giving me a headache. Do I connect the other two batteries in series, as the first two, and then connect that negative to ground, and the "extra" positive goes to the other positive? I am playing with enough amps here to put on a pretty good fireworks display......not to mention the money involved.
I have been told by several in-the-know that the MEP-026 is barely enough to drive the light, and definitey NOT enough for running the light on "hyper-warp-drive", therefore the extra batteries.
THANKS GUYS!

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
while I have no idea if it will be enough juice for your application this is what I would do to get 24 volts out of 4 12volt batteries.

Attachments

rdixiemiller

Safer setup. If you're pulling a lot of amps, you can slag down battery terminals. I have seen golf carts puddle the terminals on top of the batteries, especially if a connection is slightly dirty.
This way you are making 2 banks of 24 volts, and running them in parallel. You end up with 2 cables going to load, and 2 going to ground. There are 2 cables making the jump between the battery banks instead of one.
Joels way gives you 24 volts as well, you just have to watch the single jumper between the battery banks.

Attachments

rdixiemiller

With 500 CCA batteries, you have a potential for 2000 amps for just a second at full discharge (read short circuit).
Way more than enough to weld with, and definately enough to start a serious fire. You can also blow a battery, and in the right circumstance, kill yoursely.
Be careful! I would leave out the center jumpers until everything else was hooked up. I would then CAREFULLY install the center jumpers. Watch where you drop your wrenches!

Jones

Don't have a spec sheet to rely on but here goes anyway. What is the requirement to lamp start? Often the HID lamps use a capacitor circuit to initially fire the arc. I'm thinking that as much current as you're talking across the lamp would be overkill for run state.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks