• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shift lever light replacement

tkdtim

Anyone replaced the light in the shift lever? Is it a replace the unit or replace the bulb type setup? Mine comes on sometimes and sometimes not (same as my jeep lol). If I tap on the shifter it flashes in and out. Must be bad connection. Do you remove the entire assembly?

ryanruck

I have. It's supposed to be a sealed unit. Mine wasn't so sealed any more and that could be your problem too.

Take out the shifter assembly and it unbolts from the bottom of it. While you're at it might be a good idea to install some aluminum rivnuts to make future shifter removal a lot easier and replace the likely rotting rubber boot.

tkdtim

After digging into it, it seems the light grounds through the shifting linkage or something. Only wiggling the linkage underneath makes the light go off and on. I say it must be a ground because this is only moving the link to make contact with the shifter, not actually moving the shifter. I'll clean up the contact surface and try to tighten it up a little as there is a lot of play.

Styk33

0 Star General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What's that part called? My truck doesn't have the piece that has the lights or the letters to let me know what gear I am in.

tkdtim

Hmm any idea why wiggling that linkage and nothing else would cause the light to come on? Its called
HMMWV Military Shift Indicator Light M998 on ebay

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks