• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shipping Container Dolly?

IronViking

Does anyone have info on a M1022a1 ISO Shelter dolly set?
Maybe an older style? I saw a pic in another post but was small.
Something for easy pick up and drop off from the ground for a 20 ft shipping container?
Thanks

Alredneck

Banned
try www.cdkmobile.com for the a1 the older version wont pickup the current shipping ( it will and it wont ) containers ( i have a 1022 for sale in TN ) the older one was designed to pick up the older style iso standard 8x8x20 container, the a1 can pick up both the old std and new 8x 8'6"x20 containers its adjustable hense more exspensive. you can find the 8x8x20 containers on the market but ussually they are all alluminum an go for 3000.00 or better if you would like you could also get a shelter instead off a buddy or auction its up to you. i have the manuals for the 1022 dolly and iso container specs if you would like them pm me and i will zip them to ya, hope this helps! Captain

IronViking

Thats good stuff thanks guys.
Now I know what to look for.
I had done some drawings to make my own.
3000$ is not to bad really.
Do you think you could mod. an older unit to
take a newer container?
Thanks again for the links.

Alredneck

Banned
The older 1022s can be had cheap, on the auctions and they come up down in CA fairly often. It would be possible i imagine to modify ( anythings possible ) a 1022 to use a newer container by welding a steel
frame across the top to gain 6 more inches and welding eyelets for the pins to go in. then some bracing for strength. Just keep in mind it the weight this thing would be carrying. 3000.00 was a qoute i got from
a source down in houston texas on a 8x8x20 aluminum container about a year or so ago. Keep in mind these are insulated so that might perk youre interest a bit and they are lighter over the steel containers.
but i was lookn for something just to haul might stuff around in so that was to much coin at the time ( still is ). Also try Gichner Systems they use to make these things and they also currently make the shelters
that go on them. Hope this helps! Captain

rmgill

The 1022 is limited on weight of the container. The M1022A1 can carry more. The smaller container mobilizers are limited even more on weight of the container. A longer container is also a problem for the M1022 slick model. The TM is odd, it says that payload is 15,000 lbs and the total weight is 10,580lbs, so I think that the total capacity of container AND load in the container is 5 tons. That's quite a light limit. Great for a shelter, not so great for a lot of heavy gear in a container. The M1022A1s can handle 15,000 lbs of container and load. Which is significantly more. The newer models over and above the M1022A1s have GVW ratings even higher into the 15 ton range. Pay close attention to the model and check the data plates to be sure before you buy it. Having one of these fail on the road because you're over max weight would be a nasty accident.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have one of each the light one with jeep wheels one with duece wheels and one with five ton wheels. I only bought them because I bid low on them and won them without competition. I paid less for them than I would have paid for one wheel on the five ton model. The bigger ones have lots of hydraulic parts and airbags. Do not tow one with the air bags low on air they shake like an old CJ with too many miles on it.

IronViking

Really I only plan on carrying empty containers or at max a couple of boxes in them. Im thinking it maybe a good way to go if it can handle a standard shipping container.

audior1

Want M 1022 or M1022A1

Looking for M 1022 or M1022A1 container mobilizer unit in working condition. Recently aquired a bunch of 40+ year old 8x8x10 containers with ventilated C channel steel floors (specially modified to haul bales of Tobacco) so need to move them without buying a big fork or Crane.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
RE: Want M 1022 or M1022A1

Audior, you need to add your location to your profile, it is a site rule. It would probably help you get answers/offers.

Sarge

Dolly sets

IronViking, the photo you posted is an M832 dolly set. Even though it is a 690/691.
The M832 applies to the entire dolly set, the front half is an M830 and the back half is an M831.
It can handle a 5 ton load. It is not built to move shipping containers, rather it is for hauling standard 12 foot military shelters. The same shelters that fit in a deuce or 5-ton bed. The M832 has standard deuce rims and tires and carries no spare because you are supposed to use the deuce spare. If you tow it with the 5-ton, then you should carry an extra deuce spare with you.
The next smaller size is the M720, built to carry military shelters weighing up to 3 tons. The M720 has (I think) 7.50x16 tires on it.
The M832 and the M720 will carry the same shelter ONLY if the shelter has sliding adjustable bolt adapters. Ask me how I know!
I have added a picture of one of my M832's with an S-530 shelter mounted on it. I had to whack off one inch from the upright attachment legs on the 832 because the S-530 was designed to be towed with an M720. Clear as mud?
The original purpose of the smaller dolly sets was air mobility. If the shelter is on top of a deuce or a 5-ton, the load is too tall to fit in C-130's, C-141's etc. Get the picture?
-Sarge

Attachments

NEIOWA

Re: RE: Shipping Container Dolly?

Alredneck said:
try www.cdkmobile.com for the a1 the older version wont pickup the current shipping ( it will and it wont ) containers ( i have a 1022 for sale in TN ) the older one was designed to pick up the older style iso standard 8x8x20 container, the a1 can pick up both the old std and new 8x 8'6"x20 containers its adjustable hense more exspensive. you can find the 8x8x20 containers on the market but ussually they are all alluminum an go for 3000.00 or better if you would like you could also get a shelter instead off a buddy or auction its up to you. i have the manuals for the 1022 dolly and iso container specs if you would like them pm me and i will zip them to ya, hope this helps! Captain
It's not actually new vs old style container. It's a regular/standard container vs a high cube (8' vs 9'6" in height) . 8' is still the standard. Length of containers is more frequent variable (now often 48' or 53' vs old standard of 40').

Last edited:

audior1

Re: Want M 1022 or M1022A1 to move containers

audior1 said:
Looking for M 1022 or M1022A1 container mobilizer unit in working condition. Recently aquired a bunch of 40+ year old 8x8x10 containers with ventilated C channel steel floors (specially modified to haul bales of Tobacco) so need to move them without buying a big fork or Crane.
The containers are in Bedford Va. Can deliver to most Eastern States.

ContainerGuy

I am in the process of purchasing a hi-cube container. It is 9' 6" tall. The last few hundred standard ones I looked at were 8' 6" tall. Can a 1022 or newer variant move something longer than a 20' ? Can it even be attached to a 9' 6" tall container ?

Alredneck

Banned
Raddens send me a pm. I have all that stuff on my old computer so it would take a minute to transfer it over to this one. I have the 1022 manual and the ISO standards manual ( it has a lot of info on the deferent styles of containers out there and their specs. It was helpful in my quest for a container though I havent bought on yet. Though I would use my flatbed to haul it instead of the dolly set. Audior1 actually came and got my dolly last year and was using it to move the containers he was talking about. If the 8x8x20 or however long is still the standard how come when you call a place to buy one they dont have a clue what your talking about?:-D High cubes are taller than 8'6"!

NEIOWA

Typo. Yes High cube are 9'6" high. If you contract for a box (20' or 40' x 8' x8') you'll get a standard unless you order a high cube (cost you extra).

Look at the containers you see going down the highway or on rail. Most are square. The High cube are noticable taller than they are wide.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks