• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shock absorber placement

Jones

Thanks to Stalwart's generousity I now have new shocks for the baby HEMTT.
Problem is with placement. The shock pins are on the lower spring pads so that's a no-brainer but where do the tops need to go?

I'm going to have to make the top mounts and am wondering how far in the shock's travel (extension) should be the median point.
Overall travel is 11 1/2" but I don't remember if they should be mid-point (50-50) or something off of that.
One thing I don't want to do is have the axle lifted by the shocks in case I have to hoist one end or the other.
Remember, I'm working on a truck that weighs even more than I do and who's frame is a minimum of 39" off the ground; so jacking it up to see what kind of travel I have in the suspension isn't a task I'm looking forward to.

hdmax

When I did mine, I went with about 50/50. It really depends on spring travel/flex/compression.
I used the logic that the front spring pack (With the bottom 3 smallest leafs removed.) would never compress or travel more then the distance the shocks can.

And looking at the clean line on the shock piston, they have collapsed no more then about 3" to date. So, I think about 50/50 is a good safe spot to set them at.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks