• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Should I buy this M1009 for $2000?

WorkingDeuce

I was looking for an M1008/M1028 and found this daily driven but poorly civilianized M1009 "hunting rig" for sale instead.It looks like there has been some electrical monkey business going on in the engine compartment and under the dash but the owner assures me it starts,runs,drives,shifts,brakes very well and has been daily driven for over a year.

My goal is to clean it up and take it back it back to it's military configuration and repaint it.

Am I miles ahead by buying one that supposedly runs well but has been messed with since it's already tagged,titled,etc or is it worth it to get one through GL and jump through all of the hoops for EUC/SF-97 and get a runner and a parts truck for the same money?

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I think I would rather take a chance on that truck with a clear title myself. I would drive it a little and check drive train etc., and if all seemed good I would start the negotiation phase:roll:

That truck doesn't look banged up etc and you start out with a runner/driver..and can tag it right away...to me that puts ya pretty far ahead of the power curve:-D

Paint etc can be done at your leisure and the wiring can be to.

Radioshop

Nothing says "Monkey Business" like wire nuts... The price is reasonable for a driver. The body is nice than mine and I paid $2500 for mine in 2001.

WorkingDeuce

I think I would rather take a chance on that truck with a clear title myself. I would drive it a little and check drive train etc., and if all seemed good I would start the negotiation phase

That truck doesn't look banged up etc and you start out with a runner/driver..and can tag it right away...to me that puts ya pretty far ahead of the power curve

Paint etc can be done at your leisure and the wiring can be to.
That is kinda what I am thinking. Any tips on what to look,listen,smell for? I don't have a flatbed ready so I will be driving out there in my jeep and using the CUCV to tow it back home about 300 miles:shock:

Nothing says "Monkey Business" like wire nuts... The price is reasonable for a driver. The body is nice than mine and I paid $2500 for mine in 2001.
I have never seen a good looking 12v conversion in 20 years of looking and no two of them are the same:razz: Maybe everyone with the competence to do a good one isn't intimidated by the 24V system and leaves it be..

Id offer less and for the sake of the Poor abused MV PAINT IT !!! FIRST !!! and fix it
what a sad paint job
I almost have the urge to pack up 10 cans of OD green matte and paint it before heading back home so nobody sees me in that monstrosity,LOL

I think I will buy it but I sure wish I knew enough about these things to give a good once over before taking a road trip.

Listen for knocks?
See if the smoke subsides shortly after starting?
Listen for "Thunks" in the driveline when putting it in gear?

Any other tips before I pull the trigger on this fine "huntin rig"?:-?

gmjunky87

your drivin this thing 300 miles? or your towing it behind your jeep? if so better check it out thoroughly! if your flat towing it you probably wanna take the rear drive shaft off and hang it up just my 2 cents

Scarecrow1

Two thousand isn't a bad price so long as it dosen't tap you out. I have to wonder why he brought the truck that far up only to bail on it now. I would look for some hidden problems. Rust, electrical additives in the oil, trans and water. See if all 4 wheels are engageing and how it breaks and such. Id make sure to keep some money for the unexpected. Good luck to you .

coolnick73

By the looks of the paint job, I would guess they were using it for urban hunting with the chain link fence camo job.

I have nothing practical to add but am starting to kick around the idea of getting a M1009.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks