• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shrader valve on fuel filter

ericp351

Hi all,
My 5 ton a2 has a screw-in shrader valve on top of the first remote fuel filter in place of a vent or petcock. How or when should I use it, or should I put in a plug or cock? Also, is $30 a fair price for #lff 1201 fuel filter? I believe I am due for the 3,000 mile replacement. Thanks!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Yes it is a fair price but make sure it has the gasket and the oring for the bolt.

Your fuel filter should only need to replaced due to contamination or extended service interval. A service interval on a filter should be 15,000 to 20,000mi. Clean your tank and make sure it is in good shape and replace your filter. You should be fine for years as long as you maintain your system.

Replace the valve with a pipe plug.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
On another note when replacing your filter. Make sure to idle the engine for 30 mins or more to make sure its warm. Refill your filter canister and install it. Do not let that engine get cold while you are replacing it. It can make for a pain to bleed the air out. Changing the fender mounted fuel filter should only take 5 mins if that. Also wait for a sunny day. Not a cold windy one.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Clean your tank first. Then run it a few hours and change your filter.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You can push it to release air if there is any built up from using the primer pump or a forced pump from the tank. Someone just tried something different im sure.

Csm Davis

You can push it to release air if there is any built up from using the primer pump or a forced pump from the tank. Someone just tried something different im sure.
Nope the military swapped to the bolt with a bleeder valve on it but why some dumb engineer decided that a Schrader valve was appropriate is beyond imagination. If you leave the Schrader valve make sure you keep a metal cap with a seal in the cap on snuggly, to prevent air from being sucked in as the Schrader valve is only meant to keep pressure in not vacuum.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks