• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Singling my deuce... with Firestones??

1stDeuce

Ok, I am finally in a position to buck up for some new treads... I already have some older deuce wheels designed for singles, so it'll hopefully not look quite so skinny out back once they're mounted up...

My question is this... has anyone had any experiences good or bad with Firestone T831 tires?? I can still find them around for decent money, while the XL's are getting old and scarce so far as I can tell. (Bereg is fresh out, everyone else wants a lot more than $100 a tire...)

I found a couple of brief references to the Firestones on SS, but hardly much mention of them long term... They look pretty military vs. the G177 goodyears. (Which I also can't seem to find anywhere!) They also look a bit wider than the XL's, which is OK with me!! (Talking about 11.00R20's...)

Any leads to 11.00R20 tires are welcome, as is any feedback about the Firestone T831.

Thanks!!
C

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The firstones are great. They make the truck sit about 5 inches taller than one with XLs

see this thread with pics of my truck

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/31497-forest-park-recovery-other-pics.html
I can understand your excitement, but 5" taller .....???:roll:

Oh yes, 3 weeks ago it was 4"..., just let more air out of those XLs, to make your beauty sit 10 or more inches taller...! And send us some pics again! :-D

I bet the real difference in diameter between both brands, same 11.00R20 nominal size, used Mln vs. new FSt at same TP, is less than 2" and that would make it sit 1" taller at most!

G.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look at the pictures again. The one with the firstones is a full bumper width higher than the truck sitting next to it with XLs So yes it is 4 to 5 inches taller. The tire pressure in the green truck had just been checked at 90psi . Thank you gringeltaube for your wonderful remarks at my expense:evil:

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
............................................... Thank you gringeltaube for your wonderful remarks at my expense:evil:
Sorry if it hurt you. You love your tires, I love real world stories!:smile:

Yes the white truck sits taller but not just because it has different tires!

G.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I looked for some when I singled and could not find them.
SETOYOTA, could you measure from the bottom of the axle tube, to the ground on both trucks? I'll check my NDT's when I get the truck on smooth ground again.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sold the green truck on Sunday. I will be happy to measure from the bottom of the axle tube BFR. The tan truck has no other mods other than the tires.

So grincletaube why do you think there is such a difference? The firstones were checked at 60psi and the Xls had 90psi. So its not air pressure. There are no blocks or extra spings. Striaght out of service. The green truck has 2200 miles since rebuild so its not worn out.

The difference in height is from fornt to back also. Must have some special spring set ups in Uruaquay.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, we don't...

I don't know...and you win!:-D

Oh, while you are at it please measure the minimum distance tire to tire at center of tread between F/R and R/R axles and the space left between inner and outer duals. That will give us the actual O.D. and W.O.A. of those T831s.

Tks!
G.

1stDeuce

What gringeltaube is trying to point out is that in order for the firestones to make your truck sit 4" higher, they'd have to be 8" taller than the XL's. And they're not. (They are in fact a tad bit taller than the XL's, but not 8".)

It is interesting to wonder why that one truck is so much taller than the other... Looks like an optical dillusion of some sort coupled with perhaps less beat springs and of course 1" or so more tire... ???

As for the firestones, I can find them, but they're very expensive for the most part... Or shipping kills the deal in the case of the auction site ones. :(
C

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I waived my majic wand and poof it was higher:-D i will get the measurement this weekend I hope. The tan one was this much taller than every other truck in the DRMO yard.

Jakob

It COULD be a difference in spring height? Maybe the truck with the Firestones has new springs on it, therefore the truck doesn't sag as much? Just a thought...

vtach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I have both 11.00x20 Michelin and Firestone tires, both close to new (maybe newer on the firestone). Equal pressure, mounted, the Michelin diameter is 41.75". The Firestone measures 43". So that would raise the truck about 5/8" over the Michelins.

M1075

Well, I have both 11.00x20 Michelin and Firestone tires, both close to new (maybe newer on the firestone). Equal pressure, mounted, the Michelin diameter is 41.75". The Firestone measures 43". So that would raise the truck about 5/8" over the Michelins.
Those firestones look great, but I would expect a difference of 5/8" - 1" as well. From the comparison pic, it does look like there is more visible space between the bumper and the axles. A tape measure would tell us for sure how much bigger the firestones are!

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have no idea why the height is so much higher. The tires are 43 inches tall. 9.5 inches wide. From the bottom of the axle tube to the ground is 19.5 inches.

Jakob

Actually, take a tape and measure between the top of the front axle and the bottom of the frame of each truck. Guarantee that's where the different is at.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks