• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Singling out a m917 dump

Abrant23

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been scouring the forum and have found a few answers, but I would like to know what I need to do in order to put a set of 16.00r20's on my m917.

HEMTT rims? Grinding front drums? Do I need the runflat inserts or tubes in these tires? Bead locks? I've seen some different suggestions in different threads and just want some clarification before I start spending $$$$

Any info would be appreciated.

R Racing

Yes hemmit rims. Yes need to clearance the 2 front drums. Don't need run flats unless you want to. It's the same as doing it on a m917 and m920. The only concern I'd have is overall height. But it has been done before, and it does seem to help with float and traction.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been scouring the forum and have found a few answers, but I would like to know what I need to do in order to put a set of 16.00r20's on my m917.

HEMTT rims? Grinding front drums? Do I need the runflat inserts or tubes in these tires? Bead locks? I've seen some different suggestions in different threads and just want some clarification before I start spending $$$$

Any info would be appreciated.
I would check with your local D.O.T. before grinding the drums ,most likely won't pass inspection . Could also be a liability issue if there is a accident The manufacturer built the drums that size for a reason.

You can also run 16r21's on the front axle and 16r20's on the rear. I haven't measured the tires but I think they are the same size (or within an allowable difference)

Just so happens I have two wheels for sale, haven't even listed them yet. They have tires on them but they have been run flat so tires should be considered no good.

Abrant23

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How difficult are the tires to find? Only problem I can see is having to have two different sized spares. I guess if a front went down I'd just have to call roadside assistance. The truck will be used off road 80% of the time anyways.

I know a guy about an hour away from me that said he has some tires. If I find some cheap tires I will probably keep them for possible future m916 - m920 series trucks I may purchase.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone put FMTV wheels on the front of the M920 M917 M916? Maybe the drum grinding would not be required since the FMTV rims are not as thick.

FMTV and 5-ton wheels are pretty similar (almost identical best I can tell). I would not run them if for no other reason than they are not as thick as HEMTT wheels, and not rated to carry as much weight. Would be fine on a lift axle or on the rear if you don't plan on hauling much, but I wouldn't trust them on the front. I think a 5-ton wheel is rated a few thousand pounds lighter than a HEMTT wheel. Is it enough? Probably, but I am not going to try it, especially on the steer axle.

Tornadogt

I wouldn't worry about a 5-ton or FMTV wheel on the front of a M916-920 as far as strength but (they also require clearancing of the front brake drums), and the offset on them are a bit further in than the HEMTTs so they track a bit narrower. HEMTTs on the rear track a bit to narrow. 5tons/FMTVs on the rear it will track wider than HEMTTs.. My opinion the best combo is HEMTT's on the front and 5-Tons/FMTVs on the Back, that will get the wheel track (front to rear) as close as it can be. Use a HEMTT wheel for the spare and it will fit anywhere on the truck.. This is just my opinion do what you think is best.

Abrant23

Steel Soldiers Supporter
image.jpg

Finally got the tires on the wheels and then on the truck. This thing is a beast. Fyi, overall height is only 12'-6"

86m1028

I would check with your local D.O.T. before grinding the drums ,most likely won't pass inspection . Could also be a liability issue if there is a accident The manufacturer built the drums that size for a reason.
The part I had machined down you can not see unless the wheel is removed.

NOTE: I DO NOT run down the road loaded to the max in my M916.

Abrant23

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The winch would be used only in off road/recovery applications. I was hoping to come up with a bolt on solution that could be removed the 5% of the time the truck was driven on the road. I tend to get equipment stuck in the swamp a whole lot and would love to use the truck as a winch/anchor.

image.jpg

I ran 16r21's on the front and 16r20's on 5-ton wheels on the rear of the M919 I recently singled out, overall width pretty much matches dead on, looks much better than the HEMTT wheels front/back on my M920, rear is quite a bit narrower than the front.

Sure was nice to not have to grind on the brake drums, that is something I never want to endure again...

Kickin

Did the 16r21 military rims fit without any mods on the M919? I am trying to single the M920 which has the same wheels originally on the m919.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks