• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Slight whiff of hot wiring smell

cucvrus

Recently I have experienced a smell of hot wires. My Mule M1009 is 100% stock. No modifications/bypasses at all to the wiring harness. 9All LED lighting is only non stock electrical). I checked all the obvious things of course. I was under the dash I checked the OEM starter relay all is well at the starter connections. I would say it is in the cab somewhere. It comes just slightly and immediately after starting it. Cold start or hot. I checked the ballast resistors under the hood that are still hooked up and working properly. They were cool to touch. The only thing out of line I noticed is the voltmeter is still in the green but slightly higher then the little tic mark on the OEM gauge. Possible maybe. I am wondering if it may be the starter switch on the steering column. I reached up there and layed under there during start. i seen no smoke and did not smell anything. I checked the glow plugs wiring and saw nothing amiss there. Any other ideas. i will find it. No doubt about that. But as long as it starts and everything works I will run it. I am sure the problem will find me eventually if it is a problem. The last thing I done was replace the slightly melted fuses. Maybe this is the burn in period I am smelling. Normal break in and seating of the fuses into the fuse box. See the fuses were not blown and I replaced them. Goes under NOT broke don't fix it or let sleeping dogs lie. DSCF2994.jpgOn another note I seen this Jeep on the way for coffee this morning. I think it is a Jeep thing. I will never understand. 2nd one I seen with the same wheel off in the last week. Jeep Thing? DSCF3029.jpg

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those fuses shouldn't be burnt. Heat is caused by resistance. Resistance is caused by loose or dirty connections. Maybe there is loose receptacles in the fuse box?

cucvrus

I agree. I removed the fuses and cleaned and sanded the connections. Not sure that may still be coming from that fuse box. What do you think of the voltmeter higher then the tick mark? I thought in the green A OK.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the green is fine. The fuses are pulled through by the end device, not pushed through. Voltage doesn't matter. It's amps (current). The tangs that hold the fuses could even be a little loose.

Mg84648

t ttyl
In the green is fine. The fuses are pulled through by the end device, not pushed through. Voltage doesn't matter. It's amps (current). The tangs that hold the fuses could even be a little loose.
Agreed, since it's during start I would at Ground and work backwards. Check your engine ground strap, starter connections, battery connections then back through start relay to the fuse block. Since you smell it in the cab mostly I'd concentrate on the fuse block and relay since those are the weakest points. A bad ground down stream may be jumping up your amperage.

cucvrus

I have several ground straps. Now that I reported the issue it has NOT appeared/happened again. It done it for a week or so and then just like that I don't smell it anymore. This is all good. may have been the fuse burn in time even thou they don't look burnt. I can not explain. I really don't have time to mess with it right now so I will just keep going with it. I can always fix the issue if it returns and gets worse. For now done. I looked around in the truck because I do a lot of different work and I haul all sorts of things. Thought maybe a part I picked up or found may be the carrier of the scent. but it was there and others smelled it also. Later for now. Thank you.

rustystud

I had this problem a few years ago. The fuse panel is two pieces ( from the engine compartment to the cab )and water had gotten inside there and caused corrosion and resistance. I had to remove the fuse panel assembly and totally clean that thing up. Yes, it is a pain in the butt to access that thing.

CMPPhil

Dose your truck have the same stupid heater fan speed unit mounted in the heater duct as the civilian version of the truck?

Cheers Phil

cucvrus

It has a resistor just like all trucks do. That is how the speeds of the fan work. As far as being stupid. It must be pretty smart it has worked for 30 + years. That is not the problem. In 90 degree weather I have all HVAC off. I guess I just have HV. But that is also in off position. I drove it the last couple days and smell nothing now. New fuse burn it period and I don't see any melted fuse. Still puzzled.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks