• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So I can use the CO2 tank as a backup air source ?

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It seems obvious, but since am new to this truck maybe not. I have a 20 lb CO2 cylinder that I use to inflate the CUCV Blazer tires and to run air tools on the trail. In the event of an LMTV air compressor failure (not unheard of) I could simply plumb that tank into the front emergency brake port, then I'd be good to go for awhile? I like redundancy :)

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmm, it would probably work in an emergency, but there are better options. My concerns with using CO2, versus something like an argon welding tank or compressed air, would be...
1.) In the tank, compressed CO2 is a liquid, and has to be boiled off. Depending on outside temperature and tank design, there is a limit to how fast it can produce gaseous CO2 (though this limit is admittedly high).
2.) In very cold weather, the cooling of the CO2 as it boils off will drop the temperature to a point that it will no longer turn to gas. I use to run into this while playing paintball in winter, as a kid.
3.) If there is any moisture in your air system, the cold CO2 is going to freeze it, in contrast to the air compressor air that is being heated by compression some already.
4.) If you don't have a regulator on your CO2 tank, it's coming out at several hundred PSI. If the regulator freezes or fails, you're going to blow out everything with the overpressure.
5.) As CO2 is released rapidly, it gets cold enough to form dry-ice particles. These too will freeze and clog the air system components.

A lot of that is unlikely, but it's possible. I would prefer to use an argon welding tank or SCUBA tank, because these things just aren't even possible. If I was stuck on the side of the trail somewhere and just needed to get back to civilization though, sure, even CO2 is feasible.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a fixed 115 psi regulator at the moment, but carry an adjustable one. As it is stored as liquid, like you say, I get alot of gas from the bottle. Enough to fill about 20-25 tires. Don't know how far that would get me down the road, I'll have to experiment.

Oh, temperature is no issue here. I think water freezes at 60 F in southern AZ :)

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The lmtv has a dual piston compressor it’s pretty reliable. Have you upgraded your air dryer or are you still using the tube with fins?

Keith_J

Carbon dioxide dissolves in oil. It also makes any water in the system acidic. I would recommend against ever using it for a backup to air. Far better to have a 24 volt backup air system.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Carbon dioxide dissolves in oil. It also makes any water in the system acidic. I would recommend against ever using it for a backup to air. Far better to have a 24 volt backup air system.

Science made Scary: Nitrogen, a major component of air, is also soluble in oil.

"Laboratory results also indicate that N
2 is more soluble than CO2, 0.34-
% mole-percent of N
2 compared to 0.17-% mole-percent of CO2 when pure components
are used as injected fluids."

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks