• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So I'm Thinking 10 Ton

ThatXJGuy

I went and test drove a M123A1C this weekend that is for sale. I have been thinking about buying a 10 ton for about a year, I have only ever run into two of them for sale, one a thousand miles from me for $9K and one closer for $16K with a trailer. The truck is awesome and honestly drives just as nice as my 5 tons if not nicer, the power steering was perfect, tranny was smooth... I tested the front wheel drive, high and low range, air brakes (pedal and parking), the tires are decent, only one is really cracked and it has a good looking spare. The only real problem is the trailer's tires, at least 10 of the 16 are bad, several are mismatched civilian tires, and two hubs have no tires on them at all but there are 4 tires sitting on the trailer (im assuming they're bad too). The trailer's gladhands were removed and who knows about any of it's air systems.
IMAG0171.jpgIMAG0170.jpgIMAG0165.jpgIMAG0163.jpgIMAG0158.jpgIMAG0157.jpg
So what do you guys think? Am I being unreasonable to think that $16K is too high? and are the 15x19.5 trailer tires hard or easy to come by and how expensive are they usually?
I want the truck for collector purposes but also have ideas of offroad recovery business/offroad heavy haul like getting big dozers and excavators to remote locations where other trucks won't take them. I know the truck is overwidth with its outer duals on and that the trailer is over width all the time but so would be any load so I would be buying permits no matter what right? I have an M-62 that could support the offroad recoveries (I would have two 45K winches on hand) and I feel like it could be a good business beings that most companies don't want to touch that kind of work. I also may need less insurance if I didn't go much or at all on the highway.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a rare setup and neat that it all works but putting it into recovery service will be a stretch if it has any on-road driving to do. Yes the over width is an issue but as is the low top speed of 43 mph, couple this with low MPG (TM shows 300-350 miles per 2 tanks of 83 gallons each for a low estimate of 2 MPG if not upwards of 4 tops without trailer I bet) so it will eat your wallet. From a collectors standpoint she's a catch and looks to be in good shape! I personally would not spend $16k on that setup when you can shop around for a HET for the 8-10K ballpark since they're not hot sellers domestically. It's not much faster than the M123A1C but parts are easier to get, everything is newer, etc.. I can't comment on the trailer tires, I'm sure someone somewhere makes them still but at what cost? The big thing is cost with everything for playing with the big toys but I'm sure you know that.

If you've been thinking about a 10 ton for a year, have the means, cash, and dedication then let your heart decide. If you take her home she's yours to do what ever you want with. Make sure to see the title before signing anything over, most older stuff has a tendency to not have it and may lead to issues down the road. 2cents Thanks for sharing pictures!

The trailer is a M747 60 ton transport trailer btw: TM 9-2330-294-14

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The erdalator truck on the trailer is faily rare as we. Good looking rig bht i wouldn't put much faith in it earning it's keep.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
They are horribly slow on the road. That being said they will pull Hells half acre if you can hook to it.

If you buy it and want spare parts there are two of them very close to me but they are in far worse shape than that one.

The good news is you can get them for scrap price and scrap is down now.

PM if you need the owners contact info.

AMGeneral

Ok, having owned 4 of these over a short time(one I never got home,I sold it before I ever moved it!) I am gonna offer my 2 cents here.

I will never own another M123 10 ton unless the following criteria are met:

#1 It is fully restored,with a clear title, and the rear brake cans replaced with spring brake cans properly plumbed in.

#2 It must have 11 BRAND NEW 1400 X 24 NDCC or same size new radial tires,with 11 more NEW ones included in the sale.

#3 The sale price must be $5000 or less for the tractor.

That being said,I would venture to say, I'll never own another 10 ton.

Once again,these are MY stipulations for owning another 10 ton,not to impress my views on anyone else,But they are heavy,slow,dang near impossible to get parts for any more,and expensive to operate.

Most ,if not all businesses have upgraded to more modern trucks for their heavy moving.

From a collectors standpoint, $16K seems a bit high,especially considering the work involved.

Last edited:

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think that looks like M747 trailer. If that is the case, that is worth a pretty penny in my experience. Not much use in the MV world as most people don't have big stuff, but in the construction world, there is demand.

If you were to restore the trailer to operational condition, you might be able to sell it reasonably to a construction company and fund the restoration of your truck.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Buying that combo just means u better not blink at the price tag of getting an m60 to tow with that puppy

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I hate to sound like everyone else on here,but I agree.Having owned over 350 military trucks.And only one ten ton,I bought it cheap since it needed a transfer case.I thought,no problem. But the transfer case and transmission are an intergrated unit.Very expensive..I sold it as is to Eastern Surplus for a parts truck.Good Luck.

fasttruck

10 tons used with M747 trailer typically have 2ea winches and you have to double up to load a dead tank. Trailer tires require special tools to mount them. Check applicable tm's special tool list for pictures of them. The grease gun is your friend. The most important grease fitting on the truck is on the left side of the transmission under the cab. The brake applicator valve is not mounted under the brake pedal but to the rear of it and a linkage is provided to operate the applicator valve. This as a bell crank in it with a grease fitting and if this binds the truck will either not build air pressure and/or the service brake will drag. Truck has two fuel tanks. The engine feed from the left and returns to the right so the cross over or equalizing line between them has to be open at all times. For every hour it spends on the road you will probably spend an hour under the truck maintaining it.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went and test drove a M123A1C this weekend that is for sale. I have been thinking about buying a 10 ton for about a year, I have only ever run into two of them for sale, one a thousand miles from me for $9K and one closer for $16K with a trailer. The truck is awesome and honestly drives just as nice as my 5 tons if not nicer, the power steering was perfect, tranny was smooth... I tested the front wheel drive, high and low range, air brakes (pedal and parking), the tires are decent, only one is really cracked and it has a good looking spare. The only real problem is the trailer's tires, at least 10 of the 16 are bad, several are mismatched civilian tires, and two hubs have no tires on them at all but there are 4 tires sitting on the trailer (im assuming they're bad too). The trailer's gladhands were removed and who knows about any of it's air systems.
View attachment 641056View attachment 641055View attachment 641054View attachment 641053View attachment 641052View attachment 641051
So what do you guys think? Am I being unreasonable to think that $16K is too high? and are the 15x19.5 trailer tires hard or easy to come by and how expensive are they usually?
I want the truck for collector purposes but also have ideas of offroad recovery business/offroad heavy haul like getting big dozers and excavators to remote locations where other trucks won't take them. I know the truck is overwidth with its outer duals on and that the trailer is over width all the time but so would be any load so I would be buying permits no matter what right? I have an M-62 that could support the offroad recoveries (I would have two 45K winches on hand) and I feel like it could be a good business beings that most companies don't want to touch that kind of work. I also may need less insurance if I didn't go much or at all on the highway.
The only folks I know with 10 Ton parts is B & M Military Surplus, 518-563-6656. Their website says they have 12, 10 Ton trucks, gas & diesel that they will be parting out. If your thinking about buying this truck you might want to give them a call. They're in Altona, NY.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ross Moir used to say something to the effect of "The M123 has one purpose in life: to bankrupt civilian operators".

I think AMGeneral's point above is the truth.

The weird tires, high cost and low speed really kill these things. I get them from a collectors standpoint, I'd loooooove to have an M125 prime mover but they just aren't practical.

And yeah, I know someone is gonna' say none of this stuff is practical............ sure, but there are varying levels of practical. A deuce that gets 8mpg and goes 60mph is waaaaaaaaaaay different than a truck that is legally overwidth, gets 1mpg, goes 43mph, uses tires that aren't available new, etc., etc.

Edit: read this: http://www.vannattabros.com/truck6.html

Last edited:

fasttruck

trucks shown in posts 13 & 14 all have v903 300 hp na diesels. A turbocharged version of this, I understand, is used in the Bradley Fighting Vehicle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks