• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Solargizer help for MEP-003A?

EnteJager

So I noticed the battery setup on my newly acquired MEP-003 is not the same as my M1009 CUCV. I figured that since it was going to be 24 volts it would have the same in series type setup as the CUCV.

I would like to add a solargizer to the batteries, do I need a 12 volt for each battery? or am I missing something, I counted 2 positive and 2 ground cables
that connect to the batteries, doesn't look like a series setup. How does it get the 24 volts?

Thaanks
DD

Nonotagain

Your MEP-003 should have a hot + coming from battery #1 going to the starter. The ground - from battery #1 and the hot + from battery #2 should be hooked together and then finally a ground - from battery #2 should go to the generator ground.

If the batteries are wired any other way you have a 12 volt system.

EnteJager

Thanks,
I just went back outside for another look. The unit was in storage and they had the small cable for the series connection taped to the +pos going to the starter, kinda gave a visual illusion. :oops: Thought I was missing something.

On a different note, the unit came with 2 brand new 6TL's that haven't been put in service (dry). I don't know how old the batteries are, do you think it is worth spending the money on electrolyte , or should I just buy 2 new maint. free.

Thanks,
DD

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The acid is way cheap. spend the money and charge them fully. If they were dry and never had acid in them they should be fine.

Isaac-1

I had a dry battery filled and charged at the local battery shop for $10, which was cheap enough for me to not worry about doing it all myself. As to the solargizer, you have a 24 volt system so you will want a 24 volt solar charger, trying to charge with a pair of 12 volt solar chargers is just asking for potential trouble with things like unbalanced charging (one panel may be in the shade more, etc.).

Ike

EnteJager

Thanks for all the replies, I have a 24 volt solargizer on my CUCV and just ordered more for the gen and the M35A2.
I was alittle confused by the way they had the battery cables tie wrapped, no batteries installed, looked like 2 +pos and 2 -neg cables running up inside.
Once I cut the tie the short cable for the series connection dropped and life was in focus again. I think they call it a brain fart.:-D

Thanks again
Dave

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks