• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

some DRASH trailer pics because someone asked me for them.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So the conversations function on this site isn't very friendly to posting pics, and I'm going to just do it here instead because someone else might have a similar question about them.
The question had to do with DRASH trailers and fuel tank.

The model in question comes up in the HDT GLOBAL website as the 35k GET

A picture of what one looks like from the auction site. This isn't mine, but just to show here what it was like.
f6552a6c-6916-4383-bad3-2efe8eb5e0d0.jpg

IMG_20190928_174504.jpg

IMG_20190928_174444-1.jpg

IMG_20190928_174453-1.jpg
55 gallon fuel tank, running the entire length of the chassis. As far as I know this is the only model of DRASH trailer that had this large of a fuel tank.

c8e1007c77f1ce7796ff1b91e4794934387869e6-2.jpg
This is a 3 ton Nordic Air ECU and an MEP-802A. There is a 6" C channel frame under the gen to raise it up just high enough for the doors to open on the other end. The 803 would be too long to mount like this; it would need to be raised higher and sit on top of the fenders. Without my C-channel frame there would be nothing to support the gen, as it's completely open between the frame rails (as seen in earlier pics)

109464272_10222928592831252_3568411084791787486_o.jpg
it tows pretty nicely. According to the scales it's about 3600 lbs including the tent currently on the back (which is in the 600-800 lb range I think). Tongue weight is a couple hundred or so.

115825276_10220624036483174_8257830567071949635_n.jpg
Being used last year at out PNW Steel Soldiers Rally here in Washington with another of the group's Base-X tent. It did great running the 3 ton ECU all weekend long, and fuel use wasn't bad (about 1/3 gallon per hour)

on a related note, anyone up near Western Washington that doesn't know about it (it's posted in the facebook page for us here) we do the rally every summer (mid July) and everyone is welcome with their rigs, so let me know or get into the PNW Steel Soldiers facebook page.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll chime in. Another flavor of DRASH. This one has the tank as part of the generator, not part of the trailer. (I suspect the original question was "which trailers have onboard tanks?" )

This type is 20kW.
close. Question was more about how the tank was installed and what does it look like.

I know in the Army I towed/took care of one of the larger trailers (HP-4 type) with a 35k and 12 ton ECU.
When talking with the DRASH rep about it (we only had one rep in Eastern Asia) he said when he was a motorpool NCO in the sandbox they never bothered with the fuel tanks, they'd just put a 55 gallon drum next to it and drop the aux fuel line into it.
He also said they'd steal the new tires off the trailers to use on HMMWVs, and put worn out tires on the trailers because they pretty much never moved once set up.

TheDrashStash

So the conversations function on this site isn't very friendly to posting pics, and I'm going to just do it here instead because someone else might have a similar question about them.

A picture of what one looks like from the auction site. This isn't mine, but just to show here what it was like.
View attachment 834873

View attachment 834870

View attachment 834872

View attachment 834871
55 gallon fuel tank, running the entire length of the chassis. As far as I know this is the only model of DRASH trailer that had this large of a fuel tank.

View attachment 834874
This is a 3 ton Nordic Air ECU and an MEP-802A. There is a 6" C channel frame under the gen to raise it up just high enough for the doors to open on the other end. The 803 would be too long to mount like this; it would need to be raised higher and sit on top of the fenders. Without my C-channel frame there would be nothing to support the gen, as it's completely open between the frame rails (as seen in earlier pics)

View attachment 834875
it tows pretty nicely. According to the scales it's about 3600 lbs including the tent currently on the back (which is in the 600-800 lb range I think). Tongue weight is a couple hundred or so.

View attachment 834876
Being used last year at out PNW Steel Soldiers Rally here in Washington with another of the group's Base-X tent. It did great running the 3 ton ECU all weekend long, and fuel use wasn't bad (about 1/3 gallon per hour)

on a related note, anyone up near Western Washington that doesn't know about it (it's posted in the facebook page for us here) we do the rally every summer (mid July) and everyone is welcome with their rigs, so let me know or get into the PNW Steel Soldiers facebook page.
Nice setup with the Base-X 303, it's a decent size and still easy to deploy.

I know my HP-8 with J tent has a 45 gallon tank under the generator and that's barely enough to get though a weekend. Like Coug said Aux fuel lines in a barrel is the way to go. Not sure of the model of another trailer I have, it's about the size of an HP-4, and it has a massive on board tank about 120 gallons I think

TheDrashStash

View attachment 834873

View attachment 834870

View attachment 834872

View attachment 834871

View attachment 834874

View attachment 834875

View attachment 834876

How does your 802 handle the 3 ton unit on heat? Probably not very good. I've thought about deactivating a heating coil on each phase to try to lower the load for an 802 to run it

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How does your 802 handle the 3 ton unit on heat? Probably not very good. I've thought about deactivating a heating coil on each phase to try to lower the load for an 802 to run it
Actually, disconnecting one set of coils on each phase is exactly what I did.

Then with it running and putting out heat it's still maxed out and will trip after a couple minutes, so I turn the voltage adjustment down until the gauge reads 110% load.

I didn't use it myself that night, but my buddy with the base-x 303 did. He's active duty and I think his wife is retired, and she said she slept great with the gen running, reminded her of being deployed.
He bought an HP-4 20k setup since then that's got some type of throttle/governor issue, but otherwise is great (unit hunts/surges a lot, but it smoothed out when I was holding the mechanical shutdown on the engine halfway shut, so pretty sure it's inside the governor unit.)

Do I see this right as you being in Monroe, WA?
If so and you aren't busy the 3rd weekend in July you should come on down to Winlock for the yearly PNW Steel Soldiers rally. Details are on our facebook group or message me and we'll get you sorted out.

TheDrashStash

I appreciate the offer, but I'm in Monroe GA lol

I'm sure your buddy slept great, and the white noise from the gen is actually really nice to sleep to. One of those 3 ton units roasted me out of a 305 in winter and is overkill unless you're in the artic. Even though I have an 803a, I think I'll still get rid of some coils, just because it cycles on and off so much, and because I'd rather have 2 units on 2 tents rather than 1

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks