• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Some humor at my expense

Crazyls2

So since returning to Charleston with my LMTV the fan hasn't been working properly. I knew the solenoid has failed so I simply removed power from it so it would run all the time. The fan worked for a couple of my trips to the grocery store and gym I noticed the fan wasn't working anymore. Initially I thought it was the rubber piece people keep talking about. This afternoon I removed the fan so I could apply the fix so many of you have talked about only to find my truck had a newer ( I assume) style clutch and the clutch seems to be bad.

I learned a few valuable lessons today and made some mistakes I know better than to make. For instance, I drove the truck 45 minutes and parked it in my driveway. I printer the TM for removing the fan and one of the first things it tells you to do is to remove the radiator vent line. Here was my first error..... I have been tinkering with vehicles for many years and know not to screw with the cooling system when it is warm because it can be under pressure and very hot. Skip forward to the moment I pulled that hose away from the radiator and I got a face full of 200 degree antifreeze. I cussed for about 20 minutes then decided to go finish the work somewhere that wouldn't be a problem if some coolant ran out.

I reattached everything and went out to my friends factory and started all over again, this time I released the pressure before taking the vent line. Taking the fan shroud off was a bit of a pain but nothing terrible. I eventually figured out which lines needed to be removed and had everything pulled apart.

Once I had the fan off I found my fan doesn't have a rubber piece sandwiched inside it. I assume that means it has been updated prior to me buying it. I also found the clutch seemed to be shot because it freely turns with no air applied.

I also didn't see that the bolts holding the clutch onto the engine was an alanhead. So my ignorant self got a socket and extention and proceeded to try and find a socket that would fit. It took all of 3 seconds to get a socket stuck inside the couch housing. It took 30 minutes to get it out. I was so pissed at this point I wanted to burn the truck to the ground. So I decided I should stop and regroup before touching anything else on it.

Things to remember so you don't end up with a boot full of boiling amtifreeze.......
Release the pressure on your cooling system before loosening any radiation hoses!

Stick a socket into the fan clutch and prepare yourself for a crappy half hour trying to unscrew yourself.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So since returning to Charleston with my LMTV the fan hasn't been working properly. I knew the solenoid has failed so I simply removed power from it so it would run all the time. The fan worked for a couple of my trips to the grocery store and gym I noticed the fan wasn't working anymore. Initially I thought it was the rubber piece people keep talking about. This afternoon I removed the fan so I could apply the fix so many of you have talked about only to find my truck had a newer ( I assume) style clutch and the clutch seems to be bad.

I learned a few valuable lessons today and made some mistakes I know better than to make. For instance, I drove the truck 45 minutes and parked it in my driveway. I printer the TM for removing the fan and one of the first things it tells you to do is to remove the radiator vent line. Here was my first error..... I have been tinkering with vehicles for many years and know not to screw with the cooling system when it is warm because it can be under pressure and very hot. Skip forward to the moment I pulled that hose away from the radiator and I got a face full of 200 degree antifreeze. I cussed for about 20 minutes then decided to go finish the work somewhere that wouldn't be a problem if some coolant ran out.

I reattached everything and went out to my friends factory and started all over again, this time I released the pressure before taking the vent line. Taking the fan shroud off was a bit of a pain but nothing terrible. I eventually figured out which lines needed to be removed and had everything pulled apart.

Once I had the fan off I found my fan doesn't have a rubber piece sandwiched inside it. I assume that means it has been updated prior to me buying it. I also found the clutch seemed to be shot because it freely turns with no air applied.

I also didn't see that the bolts holding the clutch onto the engine was an alanhead. So my ignorant self got a socket and extention and proceeded to try and find a socket that would fit. It took all of 3 seconds to get a socket stuck inside the couch housing. It took 30 minutes to get it out. I was so pissed at this point I wanted to burn the truck to the ground. So I decided I should stop and regroup before touching anything else on it.

Things to remember so you don't end up with a boot full of boiling amtifreeze.......
Release the pressure on your cooling system before loosening any radiation hoses!

Stick a socket into the fan clutch and prepare yourself for a crappy half hour trying to unscrew yourself.
Yes Sir. The thing is, now you know something about those clutch bolts that you will never forget as long as you live. Now you have something powerful that you can share with others too!

Still, I'm with you one hundred percent. There are days when things go wrong. I guess today was your day. Just have to count on the next day to be better.

We won't talk about the hot anti-freeze. Like you said, you knew better.
Let's see...
I think that happening and not really hurting yourself badly is called "Positive Reinforcement".

Yeah, so now you have two things to share. :)
Now we need the rest of the story about how you got it fixed.

Last edited:

Crazyls2

Well, I went out last night to try and put on the new fan clutch and no sooner than I got it on the engine the sky opened up. I tried to finish in the rain but it was not possible. Went back out this morning and was able to button everything back up. Warmed up the truck and everything seemed good to go. After about a 15 mile drive back towards Charleston I stopped at a Auto Zone to pick up some parks and noticed a pretty good flow of coolant coming from the truck. There was a field not far from me so I drove over there and lifted to cab back up. After poking around a bit I found the drain valve on the radiator had opened up. Tightened it and things were back to semi normal. In the event anyone other than myself wonders what size that bolt holding the fan clutch on mine was an 8MM alan head but I understand some are 5/16th alan heads.

I am still trying to fight my way through repairing the timing cover crack, I think that will be my next obstacle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks