• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Somewhat new member from Indiana

cbrTodd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been a member here for a while now but I realized I've never actually introduced myself. My name is Todd, and I contracted the Green Iron Disease when a friend of mine took me for a ride in his M35A2. When he later decided to sell his M109A3, I just had to have it. I started the process of repairing rust in the van body and converting it into a camper, but when I started looking through GovLiquidation, my plans changed a bit. I bid on and won an M923A2, and now I'm currently in the process of creating what I've seen others here call an M909. I had to get a trailer as well, which I understand is the natural progression of the disease...

I've found tons of helpful information on here, not the least of which were the TM's. After a bit of a painful learning curve figuring out how to use them, they have proven to be quite helpful. I've had good luck searching everything else through google, which seems to work better for me than the built in search function.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for providing such a helpful and informative community. I've learned a lot and I do enjoy reading to see what everyone else is up to. I'll leave you with a few pictures of what I've been up to so far.

20140527_141329.jpg20140527_171838.jpg20140527_195459.jpg20140824_163737.jpgphoto2.jpg

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well that's one way to lift the body off. ;-)

Now that you have it camping worthy we will expect to see it at Haspin this summer. You will see a few other camper mods.

Belated welcome.

cbrTodd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well that's one way to lift the body off.
Now that you have it camping worthy we will expect to see it at Haspin this summer. You will see a few other camper mods.
Belated welcome.
I did a lot of research on how to remove the van body, and every option I found was either really expensive, going to take forever to do with the equipment I had available, or I didn't feel safe doing it with the weight of the van body. Paying for the crane rental cost about half what a set of heavy duty camper jacks would have, took a little over an hour to swap beds with everything unbolted, and never once did I feel my life was in danger in the process!

I do plan to bring the truck to Haspin for the spring rally this year. Last year I had both trucks torn apart for this swap when it took place. Barring anything unforeseen, I'll be there.

Welcome to the site. What does the inside or the camper project look like?
Bert
I'll try to get a build thread with pictures posted in the 5 ton hot rodding forum in the near future. It's very much still a work in progress, but it's usable as it is now.

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Well Now you know where you need to go to get things done. I am not that far and have a 5ton wrecker. We could have done the bed swap here!

Can't wait to check out the truck at Haspin!

cbrTodd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I actually live in Edinburgh, but no one seems to know where that is so I just put Indianapolis. It's the closest place that everyone seems to recognize.

Thanks again for the warm welcome, everyone!

212sparky

Welcome, my parents lived over in Nineveh for 6 years. Atterbury MP's would follow me as I would pass the truck gates :) welcome to the nut house and get ready to undercote the truck in permanent haspin.

Another Ahab

Are there two threads running parallel here:

- I could swear I saw these pictures today already.

Aging. It ain't pretty.

Welcome from Virginia.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks