• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

source for covers for the M116 series genset trailers?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know where you can purchase surplus (new or good used) covers to fit the M116 series of genset carrier trailers? These are like the M101 3/4-ton trailers, but they are flatbed with no metal sides, and the bows/staves are longer vertically. M101 trailer covers won't work, they are too short.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll try sending him an email and see what he says, thanks for the heads up.

There is a used one I found on eBay, for $450. !!! That's not happening.... I'm curious, these M116 trailers are everywhere, why are the covers so hard to find?

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most stay on the trailer until they rot off. That's about a year here in FL. Last 2 I bought came from VTCS but that was nearly 20 yrs ago. Also consider that the M116A3 trailers didn't have bow provisions. That would make the M116A2 going out of use about the same time as the CUCV. One could make up and stitch up an extension to the M101 cover and have what they need.

F18hornetM

I bought a canvas cover for $84 that almost covers whole thing, Chicago canvas if memory is correct. Short about a foot all the way around. I think I like it in that it allows air in and around generator but generator stays dry even in pouring rain. Just an idea and a far cry from $400. If you are interested Ill look and see what size canvas I bought or post picture.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm looking at a M116 for a camping trailer for now, something I can tow to Rausch Creek rally and sleep in. I do not have to have the cover on during transport, so if' it's close enough for jazz, that works for my purpose.

I'd like to see the pics as well.

SteveKuhn

If that's what you want, take some measurements and a trip to Tractor Supply. I'd figure a 12 x 20 to go across and cover the front and a 6 x 8 underneath it to drop as a rear flap. Their canvas is 12 oz, but their black truck tarps are really tough. A piece of plywood or such down the center would stabilize things. You could rivet it together with pop rivet and add some rope rivets which are usually about 3' apart. Total should be about $160. A lot less if you want something less durable.

Ebay is another source for oversized mil-tarps and covers and better quality vinyl & canvas tarps if you want a tent substitute. I cast around on there pretty often and you can find some pretty heavy stuff at decent prices.

Steve

Steve

F18hornetM

http://www.chicagocanvas.com/canvas-tarps/

Pretty sure was 12x16. Might not be good for camping in though. Bit drafty. But so far works good for keeping generator dry and out of sun. If I bought one long enough to cover whole thing, it would go past wheels so thought would try this route. So far so good. I know those keen eyes of the MEP-003A lovers will note the outdoor breaker panel installed on the left side. Inside is [1] 50 amp 220 , [1] 30 amp 220, [2] 20 amp 120 breakers and receptacles for all the different equipment I have. Works awesome.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks