• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Southern Illinois CAF fly-in at Marion IL; Williamson County airport; July 18-21 2013

54reo

As mentioned, the CAF fly-in at Marion is quickly approaching (July 18-21) and it looks like the CAF will have a great line-up of rare planes coming in. While there will not be performances by the planes as in a regular air show, they will be flying in and out of the airport throughout the event giving rides on the various aircraft. Please see the attached link for information regarding the flight costs and schedules.

http://www.airpowersquadron.org/#!marion-il/c22vg

We have been asked to attend, and the airport has given us as much room as we could ever need. All displays, from all eras are welcomed; weapons included (and encouraged). The local VA, VFW, American Legion have been contacted regarding the planes and displays, and provisions have been made to allow access to the event easier for possibly disabled and elderly Veterans to attend. Anything we can add to the event should greatly enhance their experience.

I will be meeting with the management of the airport on Monday July 15th to establish our LZ. There will be a mix of paved and grass if necessary (our choice). The airport facilities will be made available to us for our use during the event. Electricity will also be made available to us.

I will be bringing the first truck/trailer to the airport on Monday, and leave it staged there until Thursday when I plan to begin setting up the antenna arrays (flag poles) that were erected during the LST 325 event in Chester. We will be staying in the back of one of our trucks for the duration of the event, Thursday-Sunday. I will be bringing extra water cans (water will be available from the airport).

If you are planning to attend, please respond with a number of people and what vehicles/gear/display you are planning to bring. This will allow me to better reserve the space required.

The current inventory of planes that will be attending:
B-29 Superfortress (Fi-Fi)
B-24 Liberator (Diamond Lil)
B-25 Mitchell (Show-Me)
P-51 Mustang
SB2C Helldiver
C-45 Expediter
T-6 Texan
PT-17

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm checking work schedules now. If I come down, it would be in a civy car or the M1009. Would be for the day, not over night. Time/distance from Peoria? Would be great to "ride" a war bird, but prices are up there. (I realize fuel and such,,,,,,,) not complaining, just stating my current situation. THANK you for the invite! I'll share more info, as it becomes available to me! Would be a great meet/greet time though!

God bless,
Tony

54reo

Southern Illinois CAF fly-in at Marion IL; Williamson County airport; July 18-2

Peoria is a good 4-5 hour drive.

It would be worth it though.

54reo

Ok, I know there are more of you guys out there in the area....

A couple of us will be there (so far) along with some WWII reenactor guys.

54reo

Southern Illinois CAF fly-in at Marion IL; Williamson County airport; July 18-2

Looks like it will be a few guys from the SEMO Mvpa, and a few WWII reenactors.

Just got back home from the road Stan; meetings the next two days. Jodi met with the airport management today and worked out the LZ as I was still in MN.

We will be set up next to the CAF wing.

Anyone else??

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks