• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

speedo cable leaking

baxter

I have noticed a small oil spot under my deuce lately and after investigating this it appears that my speado cable is leaking has anyone ever seen this any info would be helpfull.\

Baxter

ems4ty

Have the same problem on mine. Think there is a seal there somewhere, but I never got around to taking it apart. Besides, these trucks are supposed to mark their spot right?

-Tyler

baxter

They are like a harley (marking thier spot) the problem i have is that as it dripps it gets on the drive shaft and covers the bottom of the truck. I am glad to see i'm not the only one.
Vaughn

cleb

Usually the gear oil will push the grease out of the speedo adapter. One end of the speedo adapter has a screw with a seep hole, the grease will get pushed out, and gear oil follows. If driving in the summer for extended periods, it can move a decent amount out. I took mine apart, and found one goofy U shaped seal, someone said there was an O-Ring in there, but I didn't see it. Does anyone have a line on these seals? I suppose checking the case vent is a good idea as well, it might be pressurizing the transfer case. After a long drive (60+ miles at 55mph) my speedo adapter (I think it is) starts squealing due to lack of grease. At least thats my guess, the noise is coming from that area, and only happens when the truck gets above 10mph, and has been driving for an extended period. Keeping ones truck ahead of the maint. curve is a never ending battle...

hole

baxter, thats the undercarriage anti rust/oiling system, sounds like its working!:-D Mine does the same thing but only at shut down, yours sounds like its leaking quite a bit more. I've checked the gear oil level on mine and its still full so I havent put fixing it too high on the list, but you may want to check yours to be safe. Let us know how you fix it:wink:

hole

Mine didnt start leaking until I replaced the broken cable with a new one, I didnt think about the adapter, just figured there was a missing O ring on the new cable:oops: Thanks,I'll check that!

vtach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone find out how to fix this? Mine is leaking too, and putting out quite a bit of fluid. Any PICs of this o ring and where it is suppose to go?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone find out how to fix this? Mine is leaking too, and putting out quite a bit of fluid. Any PICs of this o ring and where it is suppose to go?
There is a small oil seal (9/16"OD x5/16"shaft diam.x 1/4" height) inserted in the outer end of the threaded sleeve, where the speedo adapter mounts to the TC. This seal is the only one barrier between the oil in the TC and the grease in the adapter. Strangely TM9-2320-361-34P doesn't mention it (fig. 326).

The good thing is that this seal is really easy to replace; not so good that it probably is a hard to find item over there...?

G.

Attachments

vtach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, I found another speedo cable with an adapter on it. I was thinking of switching the whole thing out. However, my current speedo cable is about twice as thick as the new one? So there must be more than one type of speedo cable? I think the adaptor is different as well. (Mine is a sprag, spare came from an air shift).
Will this still work? The adapter? At the least, can the seal be swapped?
If noe of these options will work, does anyone have a source for a new seal or adaptor that will work?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The parts I have pictured are the same for both style T-cases, no matter what speedo adapter (ratio) or cable is used.

If the seal/shaft/sleeve is/are worn out a new adapter will only help for a while until its grease is flushed out. They are not supposed to hold oil...!

G.

vtach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So does this mean there is no perminate fix? Should I just grease the zerk that is in it now and that will stop the leaking for now? Or take the seal out of the new adaptor, or replace the whole adaptor?

Thanks.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, you need to replace the seal in your sleeve, that's all.
The closest I could find to buy online is a 14x8x5 (metric) seal, i. e. here: AFM Incorporated
You might check the usual vendors first for OEM replacements.

That size might work well depending on the condition of the shaft's surface.

G.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks